No announcement yet.

GM Feebly Wards off Bankruptcy with layoffs of 30,000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We did, but it didn't fare very well. We have a big auto-part maker industry, which are subcontracting for many of the big car manufacturers. Some parts are world market leaders, IIRC. we have a couple of bus hull makers, and we do manufacture a number of light military vehicles, off-roader buggies, and 4x4s.

I am actually planning to buy my dad an surplus IDF offroader 4x4, and fix her up, for his 70th birthday.

here's a pic of one of them:
    urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Az
      Btw, I don't really get the complaints against the workers - It's pretty clear that the problem with american cars and GM's cars is reliability,
      The cars are becoming very reliable. That's not a problem.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

The cars are becoming very reliable. That's not a problem.

Sure it isn't. I've seen the numbers, DanS. The mechanical reliability of american designs, as well as the multitude of designs make for low consumer ratings, and larger costs.

Let management start from there. You know, the harder, yet more important things to fix.
        urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT
          Thing about that Fiat deal... Fiat originally wanted $3 billion, GM countered with $250 million. They settled at $2 billion.

on GM's negotiating team.
          Not much they could do. Wagoner stupidly signed the deal giving them an iron clad put option. GM was stuck and if they didn't agree then they would have been stuck sorting out the basket case that is FIAT.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Sure it isn't.

You say that reliability is the problem and then you say it isn't?
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion
              I don't see FIAT going bankrupt. There's always the Italian state.

Az, how come Israel didn't try to develop an auto industry? It is compatible and supportive of military industries you are good at.
              EU rules now prevent state bail outs. FIAT was very close to bankruptcy but now they have $2 billion worth of breathing space plus they just landed a new deal with Ford to share small car platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS

You say that reliability is the problem and then you say it isn't?
                :mrfun:
                urgh.NSFW

Comment

GM's cars, like most cars now days, are very reliable. The problem is GM's design desiscions and their design process which assure the theoretical perfect concept will be turned into a boring and bland lost in the crowd loser of a car by the time it enters production. GM has never reformed its old design process so they still have something like 20 different departments which can all change the design where as most of the best car companies simply have one small team which makes all of the design choices from start to finish.

That insures the car stays true to the original concept and doesn't turn into a Dog like the Aztek.

Comment

Originally posted by Az

:mrfun:

I appreciate your love . . . . .

no really, I do.

A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Want a representaion of a vehicle totally unsuitable for consumers, yet they buy in increasing numbers? Hummers. Give me a break.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Last edited by Ted Striker; August 3, 2020, 18:53.
                        We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                          That insures the car stays true to the original concept and doesn't turn into a Dog like the Aztek.
                          I thought for sure that would sell well in Aztlan.

Perhaps if GM's design process gets a little slower they can start hitting retro fashion trends with their original designs.
                          He's got the Midas touch.
                          But he touched it too much!
                          Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin

EU rules now prevent state bail outs. FIAT was very close to bankruptcy but now they have $2 billion worth of breathing space plus they just landed a new deal with Ford to share small car platforms.
                            EU has a lot of rules states circumvent. The ways in which the state can help FIAT indirectly are limited only by imagination.

I find it hard to imagine Italy would allow FIAT to go bankrupt. Britain gave up on having a national car industry, but it's more an exception than a rule.

Comment

Perhaps if GM's design process gets a little slower they can start hitting retro fashion trends with their original designs.

urgh.NSFW

Comment

that's a good one.

Comment

Working...
                                X