Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What other nation's culture do you admire the most?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What other nation's culture do you admire the most?

by other- I of course mean other than the nation you live in or were born in. So I couldn't vote for the United States for example. I hope I made myself clear enough .

Now for my decision. China is of course a very strong candidate. But I'm going to have to go with Japan. Their culture utterly fascinates me. All throughout their history, not just modern times. Japanese are just weird. . But I like weird and quirky. So that's why I like them.

European cultures don't impress me much. Perhaps because I have european roots. I don't know. Of all the european cultures, I like French and Italian the best. As for the English- I mainly like their beer. But I also like their language of course.

I already listed my favourite overall culture. But I'd like to touch on the other continents. For the americas I like mexican culture the best. My city pretty is mexico now. So I'm familiar with their culture. I don't know anything about Africa. So I really can't comment on that. What other continents am I leaving out? Australia? They are cool of course.

I don't really "admire" cultures, but I can appreciate them.

The only culture I really admire (even though I don't appreciate it more than others) is the Jewish culture, for its amazing ability of having survived a 2000-years diaspora.

I can't really rank which foreign cultures I appreciate the most. Notably because I don't know them enough. I greatly appreciate the Swedish collective mentalities, but I don't think it qualifies as "culture" as per the meaning of this thread.
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Re: What other continents am I leaving out?

Technically speaking, South America and Antarctica.

Comment

Japanese are just weird.
        Ever been there? Japanese wierdness just boggles the mind...

Norwegians are pretty cool...
        Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Bosh

Norwegians are pretty cool...

Comment

I always did like French culture. Japanese culture has interested me but I don't know too much about it, except for cartoons and etc. So yeah, I'll go with French, simply because of Impressionism. Those artists just plain ruled.
            "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Comment

Originally posted by Odin

<---- born in Stavanger
              Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

None, honestly. This nation has so many jerks and so many things are just wrong, but I'm so sure that others ain't better from an overall perspective, that I'd pick to live here any time I could, as far as the culture rating is concerned.

If I had to pick one, American would be the one. More liberal than most European societies.

I just hate when people tell me what way to think is the best, and how much they despise other ways of living/thinking.

Comment

German culture- every German person I met was able to speak perfect english, play a music instrument, had a degree and a good job
                  I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

I can't play an instrument

Comment

edit

that was a little over the limit
                      Last edited by Datajack Franit; November 19, 2005, 20:13.
                      I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Chinesse are fascinating.

Take any history book of China... it's fascinating.

A strong tradition, unity, independant, spiritual.

And i'm beginnings to learn about amerindians(north americans indigenous).... it's sad to see how their culture vanished. But it's good to see how their culture have been have able to be kept alive by some extraordinary amerindians.

see ya
                        bleh

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthy

If I had to pick one, American would be the one. More liberal than most European societies.
                          Um, not really. I think it is the other way around, this country is Christian Fundy Cental. If you like a permissvie society, try the Netherlands.

Comment

Mongolia
                            Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

I personally have "Inquisitive tendencies" toward

Germany, Japan and Korea for varying reasons
                              Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Working...
                              X