Microsoft "Works" -- Yet another evil from Bill Gates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft "Works" -- Yet another evil from Bill Gates

Being both lazy and cheap, I've been using the "Works" word processing program that came pre-installed on my desktop and on my laptop. It's an okay program, but it cannot be read by either "Word" or "Word Perfect," the two most popular wordprocessing programs.

Recently, a friend installed "Word" on my laptop. A side effect was that I could no longer read any of the many "Works" documents which I had already created. "Works" had disappeared off my laptop.

One day, while poking around, I noticed that -- with the push of a button, I could reinstall "Works"... and so I did. But in doing so, "Word" was de-installed. I can still access the Word documents I created, but I can't modify them or even copy them into other documents.

Tonight, I install WordPerfect onto my desktop...and presto, I can no longer read the Works document on my desktop.

What is it with Works?! Why is it when you install another word processing program, Works de-installs, and you can no longer read what you've done?! It seem just plain mean and malicious.

save as a common format you dumas

and use office xp
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Use ABIWORD

free installation
      I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

You can save Works documents as Word documents, you know.

Comment

Re: Microsoft "Works" -- Yet another evil from Bill Gates

Originally posted by Zkribbler
          Being both lazy and cheap, I've been using the "Works" word processing program that came pre-installed on my desktop and on my laptop. It's an okay program, but it cannot be read by either "Word" or "Word Perfect," the two most popular wordprocessing programs.

Recently, a friend installed "Word" on my laptop. A side effect was that I could no longer read any of the many "Works" documents which I had already created. "Works" had disappeared off my laptop.

One day, while poking around, I noticed that -- with the push of a button, I could reinstall "Works"... and so I did. But in doing so, "Word" was de-installed. I can still access the Word documents I created, but I can't modify them or even copy them into other documents.

Tonight, I install WordPerfect onto my desktop...and presto, I can no longer read the Works document on my desktop.

What is it with Works?! Why is it when you install another word processing program, Works de-installs, and you can no longer read what you've done?! It seem just plain mean and malicious.

Your first mistake was in using "Works". Your second was in reinstalling the POS.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman
            You can save Works documents as Word documents, you know.
            Yeah, I know.

Some of the docs I did in Works were stored as Word documents. Unfortunately, when I re-installed Works -- thinking it was in addition to Word rather than instead of Word -- all these documents were "locked" and I can not longer modify them.

Your first mistake was in using "Works". Your second was in reinstalling the POS.
            True & true. Never trust Bill Gates, never.

Comment

Try Ubuntu 5.04. Sounds like the perfect solution for your problem.
              I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Try Ubuntu 5.04. Sounds like the perfect solution for your problem.

...the problem is with the POS Works, not necessarily the whole OS.
                B♭3

Comment

As far as I can tell, there is NO AUTOSAVE available on Works. Not just no autorecover, but no way to have it save your document every minute.

This is preposterous. Crash and lose back to your last manual save?

Bill Gates should be ****ed.
                  Best MMORPG on the net: www.cyberdunk.com?ref=310845

An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind. -Gandhi

Comment

AFAIK, Works includes Word nowadays. So there is an autosave.
                    Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

I thought Word was part of Works

Comment

They obviously have really old versions of Works, those versions that don't include Word.
                        Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Works is an "integrated program" that came from the 1980s. I thought it died along with Framework and such.
                          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                            Works is an "integrated program" that came from the 1980s. I thought it died along with Framework and such.

Comment

Just download Sun's openoffice. Its nice, and opens Word documents without a problem.
                              If you don't like reality, change it! me
                              "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                              "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                              "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Working...
                              X