No announcement yet.

How Long Is Your Commute?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I miss the days where it took me 10 minutes to get to work... walking.

Now, it takes me 10 minutes to get to work... driving.

My longest commute was 1 hour and 10 minutes by public transportation. Ironically later when I got a car, it took me about 15 minutes to get to work.

Longest commute by car would be an hour and fifteen minutes but that was for only 5 days. Longest commute by car over a long period of time would be about 30-45 minutes depending on the traffic.
    Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller

I am a grad student, so get paid closet to nothing

jm
      Here, math grad students are guaranteed a job while they are studying at about 33$/hours (teaching, marking etc...)

Comment

yeah, I get paid also

I was a TA for 3 years.. (teaching, marking, etc)

and now I am a RA

it is just that this semester I sometimes need to visit the lab, which is 200 miles away

I don't know about there, but here, while as a TA I made a decent ammount per hour, I didn't work that many hours...

and I am comparing to what I would make if I was out in teh work force

as an RA/TA I make ~20k a year

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Uh, about two meters on most days...
          Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

About 7 miles.

Which, in Manila traffic, takes about 45 minutes
            "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

2 km by car, or 1 km per pedes. 2 minutes drive or 10 minutes walk.

When I worked in Dresden, my commute was 8 km, which took about 30 minutes by car due to a shortage of bridges over the Elbe river.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
                About 7 miles.

Which, in Manila traffic, takes about 45 minutes
                Do little kids still sell sticks of gum to people stranded in Manila traffic? They did when I was last there in 1968.
                He's got the Midas touch.
                But he touched it too much!
                Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

cycle/train/cycle = 1 hour

cycle all the way = 1 hour 15 minutes

the bike ride is 15 miles, the train is further as it is not especially direct
                  Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

My commute is 63 kilometers.

I get up at 5AM and leave the house between 530 and 545. It takes me 45 minutes to drive at that time of day.

In rush hour, it is about 1 hour and 20 minutes; if there is an accident or bad weather, worse.

Going home, it is almost always over an hour to cover the same distance. Unless I leave before 4 PM or after 630 PM.
                    Best MMORPG on the net: www.cyberdunk.com?ref=310845

An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind. -Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs. Tuberski
                      My commute is 30 miles one way. Most is hi way and at 70 mph takes me an even 35 minutes to get to work the extra five is for the stop off at mickey ds for a bacon egg and cheese bisquit and a hashbrown for breakfy.

Careful Mrs. T I did that for awhile and put on weight like crazy.

Comment

Ironically later when I got a car, it took me about 15 minutes to get to work.

Why is that ironic? A vehicle that has to make frequent stops, irrespective of stoplights, is going to be slower than one that has to make only two.

Of course, if you're talking about a subway that takes a 15 minute drive and turns it into over 1 hour...

Comment

Working...
                        X