No announcement yet.

I'm moving to St. John's, Newfoundland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah. You may not need your bed and desks if dumping them can save you lots of $$$. Just load your car with your personal stuff and rent a furnished apartment when you get there.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
      This moving thing looks incredibly expensive. Can you ship by sea?? Or, how about dumping anything you can't stuff in the back of your car and buying new junk when you get there?

Didn't C. Annie Prolx's award winning novel Shipping News take place in Newfoundland? Great book...no plot, but great writing...boring movie.
      Yes it did take place in Newfoundland, although I'm pretty sure it was some remote northern area. Well, it at least wasn't in St. John's, where I'm going.

I'm sure JCC knows.
      Yeah, I do. I just meant its pretty much the whole downtown core, which is where I'm going to be living anyways.

Yeah. You may not need your bed and desks if dumping them can save you lots of $$$. Just load your car with your personal stuff and rent a furnished apartment when you get there.
      Thats a possibility, but I don't have a car anyways which means I'll have to rent one and drop it off in St. John's, which actually isn't much cheaper than hiring a moving truck to do it for me. So its really no less expensive whether I bring nothing or everything I own.

Oh yeah, and all the estimates I've been getting so far have been in the 2.5k range. This move is going to be ****ing expensive.

Comment

I'd recommend selling or otherwise disposing of all your furniture, boxing up your personal items, sticking them on the Greyhound (they do intercity courier stuff pretty cheaply) and just buying new stuff when you get there. If you really are talking about a bed and desk, and maybe a few other odds and ends, you may be able to buy that stuff cheaper over there than what it costs to ship it.

When I moved from Vancouver to Toronto, I used this company that allows you ship your stuff via train. Basically, they get a few containers on a cross-country train every week or so, and you just add your stuff to the pot. They had a depot at either end, so it got sorted out and delivered when it got to Toronto. The downside was that I was without anything for about a week in between the drop off time in Vancouver and the delivery time in Toronto, but I moved a decent amount of stuff for less than $1000. Unfortunately, I'd be surprised if a similar service existed going to Nfld.
        "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
        "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
        "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by Kontiki
          I'd recommend selling or otherwise disposing of all your furniture, boxing up your personal items, sticking them on the Greyhound (they do intercity courier stuff pretty cheaply) and just buying new stuff when you get there. If you really are talking about a bed and desk, and maybe a few other odds and ends, you may be able to buy that stuff cheaper over there than what it costs to ship it.
          You might be right. This is a possibility I've been considering more and more lately (buying new stuff there that is).

When I moved from Vancouver to Toronto, I used this company that allows you ship your stuff via train. Basically, they get a few containers on a cross-country train every week or so, and you just add your stuff to the pot. They had a depot at either end, so it got sorted out and delivered when it got to Toronto. The downside was that I was without anything for about a week in between the drop off time in Vancouver and the delivery time in Toronto, but I moved a decent amount of stuff for less than $1000. Unfortunately, I'd be surprised if a similar service existed going to Nfld.
          Bastard. You got my hopes up for a second, but then I remembered - there are no trains in Newfoundland, period. Let alone ones with connections to the mainland.

Comment

Just remember to never speak ill of 'stompin' Tom Conners.

I's the buy that builds the boats...
            We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
            If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
            Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH
              Just remember to never speak ill of 'stompin' Tom Conners.

I's the buy that builds the boats...
              I'm not sure if they care that much about him... there's enough Newfoundland music about Newfoundland specifically.

But maybe I'm wrong, I just never heard any of my Newfie "relatives" mentioning him.

Comment

I was just being 'funny'. Theres actually a newfie comedian who makes fun of not liking stompin tom and he isnt the by who builds the boats.
                We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI

Comment

I was just being 'funny'. Theres actually a newfie comedian who makes fun of not liking stompin tom and he isnt the by who builds the boats.
                  Thats kind of what I figured. Stompin Tom seems far too "Canadian" to be liked by Newfies.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyCracksCorn

Thats kind of what I figured. Stompin Tom seems far too "Canadian" to be liked by Newfies.
                    Its been almost 30 years since I lived out in the Atlantic provinces but IIRC they liked ol 'stompin tom'.

Comment

Its been almost 30 years since I lived out in the Atlantic provinces but IIRC they liked ol 'stompin tom'.
                      Yeah, but Newfoundland is a different animal all together. Newfoundland in alot of ways, culturally, socially and historically, is like a whole different country from the rest of Canada.

Comment

Working...
                      X