Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Der Untergang
    Lime roots and treachery!
    "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Life is beautiful is absolutely awful. Mawkish does not even being to cover the sheer atrocity of this film.

City of God, on the other hand, is absolutely wonderful. And Amelie is a film to rent when you've got a new girlfriend - you'll both enjoy it, even if it is more for the ladies.

Comment

"Life is beautiful"
        Ich bin der Zorn Gottes. Wer sonst ist mit mir?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Lul Thyme
            City of God...
            Amazing movie.
            Agreed, AWESOME movie
            We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I have to agree, I wasn't impressed with Life Is Beautiful movie. It was okay. Holocost movies are almost always given the thumbs up by the critics though.

I felt like I had seen this movie 100 times already.
              We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

City of God
                urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Heerscher

Lilya 4-ever
                  Heartbreaking story about a Russian girl that is abandoned by her parents and, after falling prey to a charming loverboy, ends up being forced into protitution in Sweden. Be prepared for a movie that gives you the feeling of being beaten with a big hammer uninterruptedly for the whole duration of the movie.
                  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0246119/

he speaks the truth

see this one
                  CSPA

Comment

I don't know the name of the movie, but it's one of the most heart-tearing movies I've ever seen. It's a movie about an elderly Russian woman, that noone of her relatives wants to take care of, after she has nurtured them in many ways over the years.

I wept.
                    urgh.NSFW

Comment

Hotaru no haka (1988) also as Grave of the Fireflies Directed by Isao Takahata. Best anti-war film ever made, showing the inhumanity of its affects.

Kôkaku kidôtai (1995) also as Ghost in the Shell Directed by Mamoru Oshii. The sequal Inosensu: Kôkaku kidôtai (2004) also as Ghost in the Shell 2 : Innocence by the same director is one of the rare cases where the sequal equals the original.

Das Boot is absolutely awesome, I own the DVD. It translates to the small screen well, and set the standard for claustrophbic cinetography, helping create the atmosphere of being on a pig boat, as the US Sailors affectionately called their Underseaboaten.
                      The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
                      And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
                      Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
                      Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

"Goodbye, Lenin" - An East German works to cover up the fall of the Berlin Wall from his patriotic mother. Its both hillarious and portrays the tribulations of residents of East Germany in the aftermath of the Wall's fall.
                        *grumbles about work*

Comment

I'll second City of God.
                          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Shadowstrike
                            "Goodbye, Lenin" - An East German works to cover up the fall of the Berlin Wall from his patriotic mother. Its both hillarious and portrays the tribulations of residents of East Germany in the aftermath of the Wall's fall.
                            Goodbye Lenin is one of the best films I've seen in ages.

In a very different vein, House of Flying Daggers and Hero both rocked.

I'll also put in a word for City of Lost Children and the Norwegian original of Insomnia.
                            "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Goodbye Lenin was pretty good, its a comedy, though with a point.
                              As many people seemed to have agreed with my first proposition (City of God\Cidade de Deus) ill add a bit on it :
                              it think it's near perfect on 3 aspects
                              -depiction of the real situation (life in the slums, escalating of drug wars etc...)
                              -the human story , the story of the protagonist is very interesting in this context, how somebody actually lives doing his day to day stuff, dreaming, falling in love etc...
                              -the technical point , camera handling, editing is very very good too.
                              Overall this is in my top 5, ever, after repeated viewings. Maybe my top 1 I would have to think about it.
                              I can't think of a movie with as few shortcomings.
                              If you are seeing it, get subtitles, no substitutes.
                              Also it is a hard movie, but not gory. Dont bring your sissie girlfriend except maybe to wake her up.

Comment

Ong-Bak

Comment

Working...
                                X