• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex-Powell aide trashes Bush admin

Classic stuff from a retired Marine colonel:

Ex-Powell aide assails Bush's foreign policy
    By Brian Knowlton
    International Herald Tribune

The retired colonel who was Secretary of State Colin Powell's chief of staff has offered a remarkably blunt criticism of the administration he served, saying that foreign policy had been usurped by a "Cheney-Rumsfeld cabal" and that President George W. Bush had left the country more vulnerable, not less, to future crises.

The comments came in a speech Wednesday by Lawrence Wilkerson, who worked for Powell at the State Department from 2002 to early 2005.

His remarks provided an unusually frank look at key cleavages in the Bush administration - particularly during the first term - and come at a time when the White House has been under mounting pressure on a variety of fronts.

In the speech to the New America Foundation, an independent public-policy institute in Washington, Wilkerson suggested that secrecy, arrogance and internal feuding had taken a heavy toll in the Bush administration and on its ability to handle crises.

"When you cut the bureaucracy out of your decisions" and fail to "stop the feuding elements in that bureaucracy, as they carry out your decision, you're courting disaster," he said.

"And I would say that we have courted disaster, in Iraq, in North Korea, in Iran, generally with regard to domestic crises like Katrina, Rita - and I could go on back - we haven't done very well on anything like that in a long time."

He suggested that dysfunction within the administration was so grave that "if something comes along that is truly serious, truly serious, something like a nuclear weapon going off in a major American city, or something like a major pandemic, you are going to see the ineptitude of this government in a way that will take you back to the Declaration of Independence." Wilkerson, a tough-talking former director of the Marine Corps War College, said that in his years in or close to government, he had seen its national security apparatus twisted and tortured in many ways.

But what he saw in the first Bush term "was a case that I have never seen in my studies of aberration, bastardizations, perturbations."

"What I saw was a cabal between the vice president of the United States, Richard Cheney, and the secretary of defense, Donald Rumsfeld, on critical issues." He was equally unsparing of a top former Rumsfeld aide, Douglas Feith, saying, "Seldom in my life have I met a dumber man." Alluding to Defense Department tensions with the State Department following the Iraq invasion, Wilkerson said Feith had been "given carte blanche to tell the State Department to go screw themselves."

The retired colonel referred to Bush as someone who "is not versed in international relations - and not too much interested in them, either." He was far more admiring of the president's father, whom he called "one of the finest presidents we've ever had."

Wilkerson is considered a close confidant of Powell, but said Powell did not approve of his public criticisms.

Wilkerson had become more outspoken since leaving the State Department in January, but never so much as on Wednesday.

Earlier this year, for example, he said that the former undersecretary of state John Bolton would be an "abysmal ambassador" to the United Nations.

Golfing since 67

As if ex-aides don't trash their former bosses in China. It happens everywhere.

Sorry, couldn't resist. Go on.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi
      As if ex-aides don't trash their former bosses in China. It happens everywhere.

Sorry, couldn't resist. Go on.
      They do...but they all seem to commit suicide right afterwards...funny that...
      Who wants DVDs? Good prices! I swear!

Comment

This is why I have Dashie on my ignore list. It's rather annoying dealing with people who can't read. The retired colonel worked for Powell. Did the colonel trash Powell, his boss. No.
        Golfing since 67

Comment

So angry.

Relax, and take a joke.
          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Tingkai
            This is why I have Dashie on my ignore list. It's rather annoying dealing with people who can't read. The retired colonel worked for Powell. Did the colonel trash Powell, his boss. No.
            Um.. the colonel worked for the State Department, so while Powell was his boss, so was Bush (his boss's boss). To put it in a different perspective, Powell was the executive vice president over the colonel, while Bush was the CEO. Both are his bosses.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Well, that looked like an overreaction, TK.
              B♭3

Comment

Does that mean Bush isn't my boss either?
                "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos
                  Does that mean Bush isn't my boss either?
                  You are free to thrash the bastard if you want to
                  So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                  Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Not that I would if I could, but I can't
                    "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Re: Ex-Powell aide trashes Bush admin

Originally posted by Tingkai
                      He was equally unsparing of a top former Rumsfeld aide, Douglas Feith, saying, "Seldom in my life have I met a dumber man."

Lime roots and treachery!
                      "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

An ultra nerd with grey hair in his 40's
                        So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                        Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

CO, funny, that was exactly my first thoughts when I saw the pic too..

By the way, it takes more to be a colonel than the president. I'm not saying this about this particular president, but generally. You are not elected to be a colonel, you actually have to be.. a very good individual. Just think about it, have you ever come across .. a.. superbly idiot military high ups? I mean they can be irritating and all that, but most ofthen, they are very good individuals, at least in western armies. I have usually respect by default for high officers who have worked their way up in the army, since it's not exactly an easy task, rarely it's a mistake, and they basically have proved their own rank and fill the boots. That's a huge job
                          In da butt.
                          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                          THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                          "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

From MSNBC, at http://msnbc.msn.com/id/5570015/site/newsweek

Aug. 9 issue - Days after 9/11, a senior Pentagon official lamented the lack of good targets in Afghanistan and proposed instead U.S. military attacks in South America or Southeast Asia as "a surprise to the terrorists," according to a footnote in the recent 9/11 Commission Report. The unsigned top-secret memo, which the panel's report said appears to have been written by Defense Under Secretary Douglas Feith, is one of several Pentagon documents uncovered by the commission which advance unorthodox ideas for the war on terror. The memo suggested "hitting targets outside the Middle East in the initial offensive" or a "non-Al Qaeda target like Iraq," the panel's report states. U.S. attacks in Latin America and Southeast Asia were portrayed as a way to catch the terrorists off guard when they were expecting an assault on Afghanistan.
                            Emphasis mine.

"Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Originally posted by Chemical Ollie
                              An ultra nerd with grey hair in his 50's
                              Fixed

Comment

Working...
                              X