Anyone Watching Rome On HBO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by General Ludd
    First of all, permission wasn't even mentioned.

But if a person is occupying your property, yet will vanish from it at a moment's notice, leaving the space in exactly the same condition it was before, what is being stolen?
    The point is that you acquired that property to RENT it to others. In fact, you may have fixed it up or even built it to do so.

Are you going to turn into Kid? Renting is oppression or something like that?

Comment

• Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
      I'm fairly sure the law is still quite confused on this matter. Informational "things" (audio, video, text, etc) should not be treated the same way as abstract things (an idea for improving efficiency by 4%, a new scientific technique). "Theft" of either is a different act from "theft" of the other, and both differ from theft of physical property. Downloading Rome without monetary exchange probably should be illegal, but it should be illegal in a much more sensible way than blanketing under (IP) theft.
      I thought the categories were defined - theft/larceny of property or services; copyright theft for acts, writings, performances etc; and patent theft for procedures, inventions, etc.

I may be wrong but I recall that, for instance, patent royalties and copyright royalties are paid and treated in different ways, and so is the infringement of them.
      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

• Anyone here have a favorite character?

The Marc Anthony caracter certainly is good, any episode with a lot of him in it, are the best ones IMHO.
        He's got that JR (Dallas) thing going...the man you love to hate.

BTW, anyone notice that the scene of the crowning of Ceasar looks EXACTLY like the opening movie in Civ4?
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

• Originally posted by alva
          Anyone here have a favorite character?

The Marc Anthony caracter certainly is good, any episode with a lot of him in it, are the best ones IMHO.
          He's got that JR (Dallas) thing going...the man you love to hate.

BTW, anyone notice that the scene of the crowning of Ceasar looks EXACTLY like the opening movie in Civ4?

Why are you trying to thread-jack back to the original topic?
          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• /me is heard mumbling the words "flogging" and "dead horse"...
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
            Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker

The point is that you acquired that property to RENT it to others. In fact, you may have fixed it up or even built it to do so.
              And where is the theft? Since he'll move out at a moment's notice and leave the place in pristine condition you wouldn't even be losing the opportunity to rent to other people... only to him (to whom paying is supposedly not in the realm of consideration anyways).
              Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

• Trying to use squatting as an example of theft, hypothetically or in actual legal practice, is a bad choice.

Comment

And where is the theft? Since he'll move out at a moment's notice and leave the place in pristine condition you wouldn't even be losing the opportunity to rent to other people... only to him (to whom paying is supposedly not in the realm of consideration anyways).
                  No, he'll only move out when YOU want to live there. That is my scenario. The only cost to you is an opportunity cost - just as in the case of pirated movies or songs or software.

Comment

• Its a bizarre contrivance you have there. I don't think most squatters would care who was taking up residence if they were to be evicted/leave voluntarily.

Comment

• It's roughly equivalent in effect to the case of piracy.

Comment

• Denying benefit to the rightful owner of an asset can be expressed far more simply is my point.

Comment

• It's better than the car theft example, which truly is daft and beside the point.

Comment

• The season finale was brilliant, except for the very very very very last bit.
                            "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                            "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

First of all, permission wasn't even mentioned.

But if a person is occupying your property, yet will vanish from it at a moment's notice, leaving the space in exactly the same condition it was before, what is being stolen?

If you crash at a friend's house, are you stealing from them because they are losing the opportunity to rent out the space you are occupying?
                              Theft is about ownership, or a change of ownership and all that entails in legal responsobility, permision delgates ownership, if i hire you to work for me and part of your job is to make me lunch, you dont own the right to make me eat what you want me to eat now do you.
                              To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                                It's roughly equivalent in effect to the case of piracy.
                                Only that when you talk about piracy you talk about viewing a movie, and when you talk about squating you (after many new additions to your scenario) are talking about occupying someone's property and preventing them from using it.

If I where to try reversing the anaology I'd have to have movie pirates flooding the theaters with counterfit tickets and occupying all the seats so that tickets could no longer be sold.
                                Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Working...
                                X