No announcement yet.

Anyone Watching Rome On HBO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• then from the point of view of that observer, the owner has lost his car. It is a crime because there is loss.

What if the observer knows that the owner is in a coma? I wouldn't think he'd consider it to be 'lost'. But it has been taken without his permission. It's a crime because there was a tresspass to his property.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• I completely agree with Imran -- taking something without permission is a crime, even if there is technically no loss.
      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• poor Sava . . . . .
        Attached Files
        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrFun
          I completely agree with Imran -- taking something without permission is a crime, even if there is technically no loss.
          then let it go or start your own thread about downloading.

Anyway, saw the last episode tonight and I found myself actually pissed off at what I knew was coming. Anyway I hate having to wait a year This will be one DVD set that I will get from HBO.

Edited for spoilers
          Last edited by Sprayber; November 21, 2005, 17:14.
          Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
            The loss is still there.

If the person is unaware of the car being missing, there is no real loss. If you are unaware of it, it isn't really a loss. It's a hypothetical loss.
            It's not a hypothetical loss to the cars owners that he could not prove that did not own the car because it was stollen, and when the car was stollen and used it killed 36 people in a mass slaughter hit and run now is it?.
            To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tattila the Hun
              A bit off-topic ( ), but how much of Rome is actually historically accurate? And how much is written? Obviously major things, like Caesar crossing the Rubicon, and perhaps general knowledge of affairs and minglings of the nobility, and things like the riot that prevented Marcus Antonius from casting his veto, but things like, the riot starting because someone came after Pullo surely do not have historic base.

But how about Pompeius not having the funds for his legions, because they were stolen, and then returned to Rome? Did such event really happen?

Apparently, atleast Vorenus and Pullo existed, soldiers in Caesar's army...
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucius_Vorenus
              Rome sacred treasury was intact and Pomey did not attempt to take it out of rome, Ceaser found it intact, its probably the speed of the advance that caught the Pompey out. caeser when he got to Rome "withdrew from the treasury fifteen thousand pounds' weight in gold ingots, thirty thousand pounds' weight in uncoined silver, and in specie, three hundred thousand sesterces", now thats a lot of gold!.

Thats from a primary source, onewagon could not carry that now could it?

How about monetry inacuracys?, they gave half a talent for bribes to get the eagle back in the first episode, in a rather small bag, a talant of coins would fill a rooms floor in large piles!, as we know from M Athony (at least i think it was he) gave a talent away for a trivial matter and had a talent of coins layed out filling a room by his factr to show him just how much that was and how genoeous he was beingt was and was told, ok said MA i thought it was more than that, send him two talents.

Roman Mil cloaks for service were yellow is the most common one.
              Last edited by Nickiow; November 21, 2005, 06:40.

Comment

• Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
                If there is proof, I don't disagree with you, it is a crime.

However, if the kids are seen by someone else, then from the point of view of that observer, the owner has lost his car. It is a crime because there is loss.

Apologies for all the DanSage. I probably should be asleep.
                Property law is very simple, if you dont own it and you take it without permision, thats a crime irespective of loss.

Copyright law is more complex, you can tape it or burn a copy for your later entertain ment, but you dont own the copyright to mass market it for resale now do you?.

Long time no see Wombat, not seen your post since CTP days, still learning SLC?.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sprayber
                  I really liked the actor playing Ceasar and hated how it ended.
                  Thanks for spoiling it!!!

Comment

• If you sneak into a movie theater to see the newest Potter, is that theft? The theater still has the movie, but is missing the 8€, or however much it is, from their coffers.

Or if you get a haircut, or some other service, and sneak out without paying, what is that, in the eyes of law?

Could one actually consider it fraud?
                    I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

• I wonder if Caesar was half the friend of the people they made him out to be in the show.

The last episode was rough.

-Arrian

p.s. Sava, you're right that I'm not often a black & white sorta guy on these forums. I'm fairly reasonable. But your downloading of the show b/c you are unwilling or unable to purchase it legally is, without a shadow of a doubt, THEFT. End of ****ing story.
                      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nickiow
                        Property law is very simple, if you dont own it and you take it without permision, thats a crime irespective of loss.
                        If you've taken something, then the previous owner has lost that thing. I really don't see how anyone could dispute that.

If Imran and I cannot share a definition of loss, then we could attempt to dispute the meaning of "take" instead. If you take something without permission, it is a crime - Ok, I agree, and for the sake of argument, whether that something is known to be lost or not is irrelevant. But Sava doesn't "take" Rome, he copies Rome. No Rome is removed from anywhere, so nothing has been taken. Loss or not, it is not theft.

Long time no see Wombat, not seen your post since CTP days, still learning SLC?.
                        Learnt it, mastered it and moved on. It's good to see you back again.
                        Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                        "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

• But Sava doesn't "take" Rome, he copies Rome.

It's the same damned thing. By copying it from an online site, he 'took' it without permission. HBO/BBC denied him permission to view the show without subscribing or purchasing the DVD (when it comes out) and he took it by other means.

And one thing I wanted to add was that every Western country has a law protecting intellectual property and treat it as stealing when that law is violated. So they seem to believe that such actions are stealing (though sometimes they choose to punish the distributor rather than the downloader).
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by Sphinx871

Thanks for spoiling it!!!

I apologize but I assumed everyone at the very least could figure that out. Again I apologize Don't go to the site because on the front it shows a very telling picture
                            Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

• Wish HBO and other outlets would make downloads available either for a fee or as apart of the subscription price you already pay for it.

Comment

• Damn, was going to install the Firefox-theme for Rome, but it does not work on FF 1.4...

Nice avatar.
                                I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Working...
                                X