No announcement yet.

Anyone Watching Rome On HBO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Um, yeah you did. You took the program. You accessed it, if you like that term better. Splitting semantic hairs, Sava, doesn't change your actions.

You don't have HBO. So? If you wanted to watch Rome bad enough, but were NOT a thief, you would perhaps sign up for cable and get HBO.

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• Originally posted by Arrian
      Um, yeah you did. You took the program. You accessed it, if you like that term better. Splitting semantic hairs, Sava, doesn't change your actions.

You don't have HBO. So? If you wanted to watch Rome bad enough, but were NOT a thief, you would perhaps sign up for cable and get HBO.

-Arrian

Splitting semantic hairs?

Sorry. You lose.

It's called a definition. Theft requires there to be a loss. And you have even helped my case with your self-PWNAGE.

Theft is taking something
      I don't understand you Arrian. I don't peg you as a black and white thinker. So why on this issue are you so black and white?

There is a huge GRAY AREA here. You should join me in the gray area. It is nice.

Let me explain how I see things.

1. I don't see it as theft.

There is no loss as I see it. HBO is losing no revenue from my downloading Rome. I don't subscribe to HBO. Nor would I if I was unable to download Rome. If I was shoplifting a Rome DVD, HBO would take some kind of measureable loss from the theft of the DVD. But because I am downloading it and not taking any merchandise, they are not losing anything. It is exactly the same as if I went to a friend's house to watch it.

2. Everyone involved is being compensated for their work.

All of the actors are being paid. All of the crew are being paid. All people at HBO are being paid. HBO will still make their money. And like I said, HBO is not losing ANY MONEY from my downloading this.

3. In the grand scheme of things, downloading stuff is not a big deal

Seriously. If you have this black and white mentality and believe that downloading stuff is theft... well... then I pity you. Downloading stuff from the internet is a step lower (on the gray scale of right and wrong) from finding a $20 bill on the sidewalk. There are no starving artists that are suffering because of internet downloads. Britney Spears is not on welfare because people are downloading her albums. Hollywood actors are not taking out second and third mortgages because of internet downloads.

so seriously Arrian... put a sock in it with all this ZOMFG YOU ARE A THIEF stuff

go get a job with the RIAA or MPAA if you really believe that garbage
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• You could see downloading tv shows as a "tragedy of the commons" dilemma. Sava is acting like a rational individual(i.e. downloading the show instead of paying for HBO) but if everybody does download the show like Sava, there would cease to be a Rome.
        Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

Comment

• Originally posted by flash9286
          You could see downloading tv shows as a "tragedy of the commons" dilemma. Sava is acting like a rational individual(i.e. downloading the show instead of paying for HBO) but if everybody does download the show like Sava, there would cease to be a Rome.
          I agree.

Hey, if I could get HBO, I would. But I don't work and can't afford it.

And the folks don't want to upgrade our cable. So I am stuck. Downloading it is my only option.

And I'm not about to pay extra for HBO just for one show. Plus, Rome is available for download. It's free, so why shouldn't I get it?

I'm not saying "SCREW HBO IT SHOULD BE FOR FREE". I'm not saying everyone should download it.

To be honest, I hope that more people end up subscribing to HBO and that the show has lots of success.

And if I can eventually get HBO, I will. But even if I do get HBO I will still download it because on my PC I get HDTV quality video, 5.1 surround sound, and I want to still have it after I watch it (I back them up on DVD's).

It is a good show and I hope that they make more seasons. Although I am not sure what is going to happen after Caesar dies. Are they going to continue the story with Marc Antony and Cleopatra? And then with Octavian?
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Ah... do as I say, not as I do... pay for HBO... don't download it like me!!

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
              Ah... do as I say, not as I do... pay for HBO... don't download it like me!!

not so much that...

its that if everyone starts downloading stuff, it ceases to be l337

you are prolly just mad because you are a n00b

and because you get constantly PWNED by me

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Ah, Sava and his delusions... it means that he is never alone, because he can speak to the voices in his head .
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• yup, resort to insults because you can't win the argument
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Pot. Kettle. Black.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sava
                      its that if everyone starts downloading stuff, it ceases to be l337
                      downloading such things ceased being "l337" when Napster arrived, Sava.

Comment

• So in Sava's little world of imagination, I can take whatever I want, from anyone, without the owner's permission, as long I don't think the owner would suffer any loss.
                        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• Stealing or not downloading the episodes from the net is the one and only possible way to see the series here in Finland for example. Its a fantastic series and I'll prolly buy it on DVD but I dont think it will be shown on TV here in Finland any time soon. So in this case its a bit like my stealing Civ4 from BT, after having enough of disappointments I will reserve the right to see it through first before making a decison.
                          Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

• What is this talk about having a right to see episodes of Rome, or having the right to preview a computer game?
                            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• Originally posted by laurentius
                              Stealing or not downloading the episodes from the net is the one and only possible way to see the series here in Finland for example. Its a fantastic series and I'll prolly buy it on DVD but I dont think it will be shown on TV here in Finland any time soon.

People have been known to write letters to television companies in order to influence the decision making of programmers and programme buyers.

I would think in a country which revived the learning of Latin and has Latin radio broadcasts (despite not having a Romance based national language) there would be a ready made audience for a series on Ancient Rome....
                              Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

• Originally posted by Arrian
                                How does you downloading a show (for free) that is broadcast on a pay-cable station NOT result in loss?

Because HBO isn't losing anything. HBO never had the viewer's money in the first place, so they can't be said to be losing it.

Lost opportunity is not theft.
                                Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Working...
                                X