Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sava
    MosesPresley

some people are just mad because they are not consistent with their definition of theft

I go to a friends house and watch Rome.

OR

I download Rome.

In both instances I did not pay for it.

Either it is stealing in both instances or it isn't.

Sava PWNS n00bs
    Imran kinda beat me to this but here are my two cents.

Whenever you take something without expressed permission, that is stealing. When you're borrowing your friend's tools for instance because you have permission, it's not stealing.

When you download episodes of Rome without the permission of the producer, THAT is stealing.
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

How does you downloading a show (for free) that is broadcast on a pay-cable station NOT result in loss?

HBO (in conjunction w/BBC) paid $$ to make Rome. They did this b/c they want to offer content that will keep people paying for their channel(s). You, by downloading the show for free, are a ****ing little thief, no matter how much you twist words to make yourself feel better.

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
        How does you downloading a show (for free) that is broadcast on a pay-cable station NOT result in loss?

HBO (in conjunction w/BBC) paid $$ to make Rome. They did this b/c they want to offer content that will keep people paying for their channel(s). You, by downloading the show for free, are a ****ing little thief, no matter how much you twist words to make yourself feel better.

-Arrian
        pwning Sava

Comment

THEFT IMPLIES LOSS

So in my example with the woman who was sleeping while the guy took the necklace (thus experience NO LOSS), the guy isn't guilty of theft?
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
            THEFT IMPLIES LOSS

So in my example with the woman who was sleeping while the guy took the necklace (thus experience NO LOSS), the guy isn't guilty of theft?

Sava just thinks that you know nothing about law and the legal system, you know, considering that you only recently passed a bar and completed law school and all.

Comment

What he's doing still results in loss (economic loss). That being said, that's not the definition of theft to me - theft is when you take something that you do not own w/o permission of the owner.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian

-Arrian
                Hmm, well I can watch it on both the BBC and a local channel but on both times I'm not home (or it's aired at insane hours). Neither are pay channels (except for me paying taxes), so who cares if I DL it.
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

We are talking about those who download 'Rome' in the US but don't pay for HBO. I think most of us agree that there is far less of an issue by people downloading shows from networks they already pay for (the 'issue' that is left is such a system allows those who haven't paid for the network or system to watch it free of charge).
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Let's say I don't have HBO. I do, but for the sake of argument, I don't. I go over to my brother's house and watch Rome. He records it and gives me a copy. Did I steal it?

Let's say I go to the library at some future date and they have a copy and I check it out. I take it home and record it. Did I steal it?

I go to the library and check out a music CD. I take it home and I record it. Did I steal it?

I go online and I download a song through a P2P service. Did I steal it?

Now I am listening to the radio. My favorite song comes on. I tape it and I later transfer it to a digital format. Did I steal it?

My favorite movie comes on TV and I tape it. Did I steal it? No, because there already was a court battle back in the 80's about the legality of making VCR tapes of movies. The decision was favorable to those who own the VCR machines and allowed them to make the tapes.

Now, how is the last example different from the above examples that I have given? Other than the court's decision of course.
                    "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
                    —Orson Welles as Harry Lime

Comment

• Originally posted by alva

Hmm, well I can watch it on both the BBC and a local channel but on both times I'm not home (or it's aired at insane hours). Neither are pay channels (except for me paying taxes), so who cares if I DL it.
                      Hmm - "(except for me paying taxes)"

Why except that?

-Arrian

Comment

• Let's say I go to the library at some future date and they have a copy and I check it out. I take it home and record it. Did I steal it?

I go to the library and check out a music CD. I take it home and I record it. Did I steal it?
                        You pay for the services offered by libraries if you pay taxes.

The other ones are the difficult questions.

-Arrian

Comment

• Originally posted by Arrian

-Arrian
                          Because HBO makes the same amount of money whether I download the show or not.

THEY DO NOT LOSE ANYTHING FROM MY DOWNLOADING THE SHOW.

HENCE NO LOSS

THEREFORE NO THEFT

I WIN

SAVA PWNS ALL YOU NOOBS

HAHAHHAHAH

Again. Prove to me that HBO suffers a loss from my downloading the show. Until you guys do that. I WIN THIS ARGUMENT.
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Simple, Sava. They lose the $$ they would have made if you had subscribed to cable & paid for HBO.

Further, your definition of theft is bs. Theft is taking something you don't have permission to take.

I WIN

SAVA PWNS ALL YOU NOOBS

HAHAHHAHAH
                            I am thus refuted. Nevermind, Sava.

-Arrian

Comment

• dude, I don't have HBO

I wouldn't have HBO regardless if I download it or not

sorry you lose
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Originally posted by Arrian
                                Theft is taking something you don't have permission to take.

By your own definition of theft, what I have done is not theft.

I have not taken anything from HBO.

I have not taken anything PERIOD.

No property of HBO's is missing.

PWNED
                                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                                X