Top ten innovations of the last 250 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Ah, but women were not included. Neither were slaves.

No, Jesus included everyone as equal.

But Democracy has been around since the time of the Greek Philosphers.
    be free

Comment

Originally posted by Sn00py
      No, Jesus included everyone as equal.
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
        [emphasis my own]
        Exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe
          Democracy based upon the idea of all men created equal.
          Has it been implimented yet?
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
            It was certainly thriving after a couple of dozen years of Tudor rule.

Quite- and yet of course it took a dynasty founded by a Welshman to begin the idea of a distinctively English nation and culture (excepting the likes of Chaucer and Wiclif).

The reign of Henry VIII saw aggressive English nationalism, to act as counter-balance to French ambitions- hence teh shipbuilding programme, the use of the Tudor rose as a nationalist emblem and even a model for coastal fortifications, as at Deal and St Mawes.

It also saw the growth of English as a medium for popular and high culture, in the Tudor interludes, English prayer books and vernacular bibles, and English architecture.

The Tudor dynasty saw the beginning of the end of a separate Cornish cultural identity, and the greatest flowering of English literature so far- the debates about the fitness of the English language to express religious and philosophical thought, poetry and drama begin with the Tudors.

And of course, the beginning of the Anglican church. In fact, during Edward VI's reign England briefly became the intellectual centre of Protestantism in Northern Europe.
            Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Its on the drawing board.
              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by Sn00py

But Democracy has been around since the time of the Greek Philosphers.
                Athenian and Roman democracies differed in that only citizens were considered equal. Not all folk were citizens or even guaranteed the opportunity to become so.
                "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara

Has it been implimented yet?
                  About as well as any human ideal. Including such virteues as spelling.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe

Athenian and Roman democracies differed in that only citizens were considered equal. Not all folk were citizens or even guaranteed the opportunity to become so.
                    Which hadn't changed with respect to Chinese residents of the United States in the 19th Century, or many African Americans either, yet the United States was still a 'democracy' of sorts.

The idea of 'democracy', the citizens' right to vote out or ostracise a ruler or government begins with the Greeks- contrasting neatly with their main opponents, the Achaemenids, ruled by a semi-divine Emperor, not subject to any kind of vote at all.
                    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by joncha
                      1. sliced bread
                      I was going to say that.
                      Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                      The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom

Which hadn't changed with respect to Chinese residents of the United States in the 19th Century, or many African Americans either, yet the United States was still a 'democracy' of sorts.

The idea of 'democracy', the citizens' right to vote out or ostracise a ruler or government begins with the Greeks- contrasting neatly with their main opponents, the Achaemenids, ruled by a semi-divine Emperor, not subject to any kind of vote at all.
                        You'll note my inital post referred to the part where all men were created equal hence able to achieve citizenship. Thus the distinction from ancient democracies.

As for what happened in the 19th century, your point? since the innovations are of the last 250 years inclusive of any modifications/refinements made in the intervening years.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

English nationalism was alive and well at the end of the Hundred Years' War
                          English Patriotism, perhaps. NOt Nationalism. Different thing.

The fact Romans were proud to be Romans did not make them Roman Nationalists. Ditto for Athenians, or anyone beforehand.
                          If you don't like reality, change it! me
                          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

1. Pekka
                            2. Evil Angel and their view on how womens bottoms are a target of worship and fetish
                            3. The music that came from the combination of Kevin Saunderson, Derrick May and Juan Atkins, and the effect they had on music and the eletronic .. scene.
                            4. Burning your own DVDs
                            5. fast internets (and no one being able to stop me!)
                            6. Vida Guerra
                            7. The rebirth of modern mixer martial arts, from the days of pancrase in the ancient greece, awesome.
                            8. No Limit Texas Hold'em
                            9. New revolutionary computer games
                            10. coca cola

Best things in world, of course after God.
                            In da butt.
                            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Top 10 theoretical innovations

Top 10 concepts

1) Germ theory
                              2) Modern Metallurgy
                              3) Quantum Physics
                              4) Relativity
                              5) Modern Chemical Theory
                              6) Genetics
                              7) The Seperation of Church and State and/or Pluralism and/or Tolerance
                              8) Psychology/Sociology
                              9) Rules of War
                              10) Plate Tectonics

Top 10 applications

1) Vaccines
                              2) Modern Sanitation Systems
                              3) Steel Alloys
                              4) Electrical Distribution Systems
                              5) Internal Combustion Engine
                              6) Antibiotics
                              7) Modern Explosive - including HE, smokeless powder, etc.
                              8) Transistors et al.
                              9) Heat pumps
                              10) Fission
                              The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
                              And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
                              Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
                              Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

I am surprised by the lack of Internet on there, I think it will prove possibly the most influential invention of all times. Allowing everyone (in due course) access to virtually all of humankind's knowledge and customs is like a second Enlightment.

Comment

Working...
                                X