Car taxes should be raised...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More taxes
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

• Car taxes should go up especially on the vehicles which damage the roads most and which harm the enviroment the most, I.E. SUVs. All of the money new money raised should be ear marked for improved mass transit.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Public transportation is not the best way to transport people in most of the US because of low population densities. It wouldn't make sense to overinvest in it. Cars are machines with more merit than public transportation, but they have big associated problems. It seems proper to me that the large majority of money should go to ameliorating the problems with cars rather than investing so much in public transportation.

Right now, about 15% of gasoline taxes go to fund public transportation. While that might be a bit low, it seems about right to me, given our circumstances.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Your circumstances (not that we're much different in Canada) are a vicious circle. If you keep catering to the private automobile in road and urban design, you promote lower density. If you focus on mass transit and plan development accordingly, the demand shifts the other way. Of course, the two need to go hand in hand.
          "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
          "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
          "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

• In many/most instances, I don't think they go in hand. In the major metropolitan areas, I agree that they do go hand in hand.

Low densities aren't bad. Some may not prefer them, but others do not prefer high densities. Who am I to shoehorn all of the people who prefer low densities into my high density world?
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Working...
            X