No announcement yet.

Car taxes should be raised...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So what are the numbers associated with this? How much of the problem is associated with smog? How big is the problem?
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I am sorry, are people so stupid as to question whether inhaling a variety of all too unnatural chemicals into your system could have a negative effect or not?

Go to some third world city with a real smog issue and then ask yourself about how dangerous smog could be.

Jesus, this isn't rocket science.....
      If you don't like reality, change it! me
      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

The vast majority of "unnatural" substances are perfectly harmless to human beings in large quantities. We don't live in third world countries and don't have their smog problems. So I would prefer solid numbers based on North American cities to quantify the costs involved.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
          I am sorry, are people so stupid as to question whether inhaling a variety of all too unnatural chemicals into your system could have a negative effect or not?
          Eh, I'm just questioning that it would cause asthma.

Comment

You missed the point long aog that quantification is irrelevant.

Think of it as a sin tax, the sin being wasting oil.
            If you don't like reality, change it! me
            "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
            "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
            "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Health issues aside, smog is also bad for productivity. Inhaling lots of smog has a similar effect to drinking alcohol. Smog contains acetaldehyde, a toxic chemical that is also an intermediary in the digestion of alcohol.
              Visit First Cultural Industries
              There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
              Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

If you can't quantify it, why the hell are you bringing it up in my thread? Go make your own thread where you can discuss making the world a GePap utopia through punitive taxes.

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
                  You missed the point long aog that quantification is irrelevant.
                  Quantification is extremely relevent when you're trying to determine what level of taxation would offset the externalities of some activity.

Comment

This is for Ontario. Extrapolate to the 50 states, and consider that people who never desired to use an automobile are effected.

Air pollution costs Ontario citizens more than $1 billion a year in hospital admissions, emergency room visits, and ab-senteeism according to the analysis contained in the report.

Look near the bottom for detailed costs.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)
                    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

That works out to about $25 billion/year in the US. OTOH we may be more rural on average than Ontario.

Comment

I think the US has more than 25 times the population of Ontario, and has several cities with greater densities than Toronto.
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)
                        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Interesting figures. What portion of that $25 billion would be associated with auto pollution?

Comment

NYE: Ontario has pop of ~ 13 million. 295 million / 13 million x $1 billion = $23 billion.

Comment

You mean billion.

I see. You consider children deveolping life long diseases, and premature deaths for adults to be 'monopoly money'.

While at the same time, you want to tax people for willingly partaking in your nation's highways.

Very curious.
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
                                I think the US has more than 25 times the population of Ontario, and has several cities with greater densities than Toronto.
                                According to wiki Ontario has a population of 12 million, which is one twenty-fifth of 300 million.

Comment

Working...
                                X