No announcement yet.

Hundreds Dead in Powerful Asian Earthquake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stick to the topic, people. If you want to make a political statement take it elsewhere.

And Winston, consider yourself warned. If you have nothing relevant to say, by all means don't say anything.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

The EU needs to issue more help. The US is held back by its own catastrophe

edit: I just donated 20€ to the austrian red cross.
      Last edited by Atahualpa; October 9, 2005, 12:23.

Comment

thety are in my prayers

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

the toll seems to be ever rising.. really bad year with disasters

I hope everyone pulls together to save what's left to save in Pakistan.
          In da butt.
          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
          THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
          "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Come on folks... stay on topic. I'm tired of deleting posts... next time I will restrict the poster as well.
            Keep on Civin'
            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Politics have nothing to do with this. End of discussion on politics.

We're talking over 20,000 human beings killed in a natural disaster.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

UNICEF reports that as many as 40 000 can be dead. This is almost beyond comprehension...
                I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor

It completely depends of the media hype. There was quite a big reaction in the west after the Tsunami, which had everything for media hype: a catastrophe of absolutely epic proportions, right during christmas, and when countries competed as to which one would give most aid.

Actually, thinking about it, there was quite a bit of interest about the earthquake in Bam, Iran, when it struck during Christmas 2003.
                  Media hype? Hardly. 100,000+ people were killed. If it had happened in summer, the coverage would have been the same.
                  Golfing since 67

Comment

Actually, without wishing to belittle this disaster, I think they got off lightly...

The Indian Subcontinent is powering into Asia at a speed of 5cm a year, with that incredible pressure having to be dissipated somehow. 7.6 on the Richter scale is peanuts compared to the power being stored up!

Lets hope the higher death toll estimates are inaccurate and that it brings the two local superpowers closer together as India is offering Pakistan assistance...
                    Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Pakistan government is saying 20,000 to 30,000 killed, according to the latest wire stories.

U.S. is sending helicopters from Afghanistan.
                      Golfing since 67

Comment

That's like a whole town wiped out...
                        Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                        Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                        Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Originally posted by MOBIUS
                          Lets hope the higher death toll estimates are inaccurate and that it brings the two local superpowers closer together as India is offering Pakistan assistance...
                          Greece & Turkey moved closer after the Turkish quake in '99 IIRC.

Comment

"Militant Training camps wiped out"
                            "Training camps used by jihadists battling with the Indian army for control of Kashmir were buried by landslides or left in ruins by the earthquake, bringing hope of a new opportunity for peace-making after a 16-year Islamic insurgency.

India and Pakistan, nuclear rivals who both lay claim to Kashmir in its entirety, have fought two of their three wars over the territory.

Security analysts said yesterday that the earthquake in Pakistan's highly-militarised Kashmir region had "significantly depreciated'' the insurgents' capacity to carry on their fight for independence in neighbouring Indian-administered Kashmir.

"The militant groups and their army handlers will now be totally absorbed in relief, rescue and rehabilitation efforts,'' said Arun Sahgal, of the United Service Institution in New Delhi.

India claims that Pakistan backs various insurgent groups, assisting them across the line of control that divides the disputed territory. Pakistan denies the claim.

Military sources said that an estimated 1,000 Pakistani soldiers died in the earthquake after their concrete-roofed bunkers along the Kashmir frontier collapsed. Security sources said 15 militant training camps had been put out of action by the earthquake.

Almost all groups fighting the Indian army in Kashmir had ''camp offices'' either in Muzafarrabad, the devastated capital of Pakistan-administered Kashmir, or surrounding areas.

Senior Indian army officers recently claimed the existence of least 55 militant training camps in the region.

Many in New Delhi see the earthquake as presenting a new opportunity for India and Pakistan to overcome their past hostilities. "This is an opportunity for India and Pakistan to forget their differences," said N M Prusty, of the aid agency Care.

Within hours of the earthquake, Manmohan Singh, the Indian prime minister, telephoned President Pervez Musharraf of Pakstan to offer help. The countries' military chiefs were in touch with one another, as were commanders along the Kashmir frontier. An Indian soldier who mistakenly crossed into Pakistani territory after the earthquake was allowed to return yesterday, an unthinkable gesture in the past."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                              Verto gets a week for his comment and his subsequent attempt to defend his action.
                              No offense, but to punish someone more for defending themselves is the ruling of a tyrant.

Pakistan to Accept Quake Relief From India

NEW DELHI (AP) -- Pakistan said Monday it will accept relief aid for earthquake victims from its longtime rival India, a move that carries immense political implications for the neighbors who have fought three wars.

India's Foreign Secretary Shyam Saran said his country would send tents, food, blankets and medicine to the hard-hit Pakistani portion of Kashmir.

The announcement came after Pakistani Foreign Ministry said Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh telephoned Pakistan's high commissioner in New Delhi and ''reiterated his offer to send relief aid to us for earthquake victims.''

High Commissioner Aziz Ahmed Khan met Singh and then contacted the government in Islamabad, which decided to accept the Indian offer after consultations at the highest level, Pakistani Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Tasnim Aslam said.

Earlier Monday, India said Pakistan turned down its offer of helicopters for rescue operations, saying it had enough at the moment. Pakistan also ruled out launching joint rescue operations with India for earthquake victims in Kashmir.

Pakistan and India have a long history of bitter relations, particularly over Kashmir -- the focus of two of their three wars. However, the two sides have taken several steps since last year to improve relations.

Soon after Saturday's earthquake, Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had called Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf and offered humanitarian help. Musharraf also made a similar offer for the victims of the quake in the Indian portion of Kashmir where more than 800 people died.

Death toll estimates in Pakistan ranged from 20,000 to 30,000.
                              Wow! It's good to see that even bitter rivals can look past their differences in a time of tragedy. Definitely a step in the right direction.
                              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Help has still not reached many of the struck areas, and there are too little resources where it has. Seems like many more will die from secondary effects than by the initial quake.

There are some reports that Usama Bin Ladin is among the fatal casualties. (But haven't we heard that one before?)
                                So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                                Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Working...
                                X