Hundreds Dead in Powerful Asian Earthquake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aneeshm
    Is this how you of the West react to any disaster not happening in your own land ?
    just for the record, I made tasteless jokes about hurricane Katrina

(and have not done so about this disaster)
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava

just for the record, I made tasteless jokes about hurricane Katrina

(and have not done so about this disaster)
      It's more to do with the timing than the jokes themselves . A lot of people made jokes of Katrina , but they waited until the shock had worn off . Even that period of grace and dignity is not allowed to the victims of any non-Western disaster .

Comment

Stop being such a baby and you'll realize Apolytoners troll without regard to race, religion, culture, wealth or operating system.

Comment

Today, hurricane Stan killed more people than Katrina and Rita combined , but there's not even a thread about it.
          So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
          Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

You have only yourself to blame.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
              We have at least one friend here with family in Pakistan.

Maybe not anymore.
              Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by Chemical Ollie
                Today, hurricane Stan killed more people than Katrina and Rita combined , but there's not even a thread about it.
                What? I thought it was about 100 victims?
                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor

What? I thought it was about 100 victims?
                  Sadly not. It seems that a whole village with 1400 inhabitants was buried in a landslide.

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Is this how you of the West react to any disaster not happening in your own land ?
                    It completely depends of the media hype. There was quite a big reaction in the west after the Tsunami, which had everything for media hype: a catastrophe of absolutely epic proportions, right during christmas, and when countries competed as to which one would give most aid.

Actually, thinking about it, there was quite a bit of interest about the earthquake in Bam, Iran, when it struck during Christmas 2003.
                    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat

Sadly not. It seems that a whole village with 1400 inhabitants was buried in a landslide.

http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/photosea...emala+Mudslide
                      This is horrible. Horrible.

Comment

Just the right wing americans (and even so-called american left leaning posters are still rightwing at heart, just not compared to some of the other fascists) by the looks of it, but then we all know they don't see the rest of the world as real but as rather as their plaything.
                        A right winger started the thread

Comment

There's *******s everywhere. They were dancing in the streets after 9-11...in Pakistan? I know they did in Palistine but not sure about Pakistan.

People everywhere who understand the suffering involved feel for those experiencing it. That's why the US give so much aid to foriegn countries struck by disasters.
                          Long time member @ Apolyton
                          Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

TROLLFIESTA
                            "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
                            —Orson Welles as Harry Lime

Comment

18,020 is Pakistan's current count
                              "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
                              ^ The Poly equivalent of:
                              "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

So where are the claims that God sent the disaster to punish those who harbor al-Qaeda?
                                "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Working...
                                X