No announcement yet.

WLAN help urgently needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, so what do you need help in again?
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I cannot configure the Acess Point, to have a secure wireless connection.

I also cannot connect to the internet thru my other computer, whether it's connected through a wireless connection or not.
      urgh.NSFW

Comment

If the wireless is just an access point, that means it must be configured to be on the same network as your PC. What is the IP address of the PC and ADSL Modem/Router? What is the netmask? You must program an IP, network, and gateway that is compatible with this into the wireless access point.
        “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

DHCP typically does not use the entire network address range. It leaves some out for fixed IP addresses. You can usually set this range in the advanced settings. Then, use the rest for fixed IP addresses for things like the wireless access point and ADSL modem/router.
          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

Comment

If the wireless is just an access point, that means it must be configured to be on the same network as your PC. What is the IP address of the PC and ADSL Modem/Router? What is the netmask? You must program an IP, network, and gateway that is compatible with this into the wireless access point.

I cannot program an IP into the wireless access point, since I can't ****ing connect to it!!!!
            urgh.NSFW

Comment

OK - I read a bit more clearly and see that your laptop can connect to the ADSL modem via wireless. What does ipconfig (or winipcfg) on your laptop show when it is connected to the ADSL modem via wireless.

Comment

Yes, the laptop can connect to the ADSL modem - but not the internet for some reason ( WTF? )

as to ipconfig, stuff goes ape****. I have no idea what this means ( note, I copied it by hand from the laptop)

Code:
                Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State : Media disconnected

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix
                IP Address. . . . . . : 10.0.0.3
                Subnet Mask. . . . .:255.0.0.0
                IP Address. . . . .: fe80::20e:35ff:fee3:4078%4
                Default Gateway. . . . . :10.0.0.138

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface: (WTF?!!!)

Connection- Specific DNS Suffix . . . . :
                IP Address . . . . . . . . .: fe80::5445:5245:444f%5
                Default Gateway . . . . . . :

Tunnel adapter Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Connection Specific DNS Suffix . . .:
                IP Address . . . . . . : fe80::5efe:10.0.0.3%2
                Default Gateway . . . . . . . :

urgh.NSFW

Comment

It thinks its gateway is 10.0.0.138. What is the IP address of the ADSL Modem? I bet it is 10.0.0.1. That is what your gateway needs to be. Try setting up TCP/IP on your laptop to be a fixed IP address of 10.0.0.3 and also have it set its gateway to be that of the ADSL Modem and have it set DNS to that of the ADSL Modem. You are picking up very strange things from DHCP.

Comment

I don't think it's 10.0.0.1, since I access it's setup on the desktop pc thru 10.0.0.138, i.e. exactly what it sez.
                    urgh.NSFW

Comment

try the following commands:

tracert 198.6.1.1

tracert www.cisco.com

tell me what you get back.

Comment

attempting this on the laptop: ( I'll drop the ms)

Code:
                        Tracing rout to cache00.ns.uu.net [198.6.1.1]
                        over a max of 30 hops:

1 * * *  Request timed out
                        2 * 20 19      212.29.206.141
                        3 29 20 19   212.29.206.142
                        4 29 19 19    212.29.206.170
                        5 252 406 408    bb-ny.ser5-0-0.barak.net il [212.150.232.65]
                        7 400 408 409 GigabitEthernet1-0.IG5.NYC4.ALTER.NET [157.130.255.41]
                        8 196 204 205 0.so-3-2-0.XL2.NYC4.ALTER.NET [152.63.35.38]
                        9 402 408 409 0.so-3-0-0.CL2.IAD5.ALTER.NET 152.63.34.133
                        10 233.203.206 501.ATM6-0.GW3.IAD5.ALTER.NET [152.63.38.1]
                        11 223 204 205 pos5-0.soesr1.ash.ops.us.uu.net [207.18.173.162]
                        12 229 203 205 gig1-0.esr-b-10-9-2.ash.ops.us.uu.net [198.5.240.36]
                        13 429 409 410 cache00.ns.uu.net [198.6.1.1]
                        urgh.NSFW

Comment

for www.cisco.com [1.0.0.0]

Hop 1 is "Request Timed out"

Hops 2-6 are 212.29.206.X ( whith X=141,142,45,178,210), pings of 17-32ms.

pings 7-30 is "Request Timed out", it seems.
                          urgh.NSFW

Comment

this means that your laptop can reach the internet. You just hit one of UUNet's DNS servers with an ICMP packet. what about the www.cisco.com?

Comment

1.0.0.0 is definitely not the address for www.cisco.com.

try this command:
                              nslookup www.cisco.com

Comment

BTW - the correct IP address for www.cisco.com is

Comment

Working...
                                X