Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RIP
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Zoidberg

And there´s that submarine that patrols...ehrm what does it do actually? And sorry for the deaths, but that´s part of the deal when you fight for Freedom and Democracy™
      Ehrm, that sub is old history. Sadly litterally - danish submarines has been abolished, so no more nice pics of us carriers taken through periscopes in shooting range.

Yeah, it's sad, but at least not as sad as if Radikale Venstre was dictating danish policy.
      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

B_E, both Norway and Denmark are members of NATO and have been since the end of WWII. Finland would´ve liked to become members too I suppose, but the USSR would´ve seen this as a terrible provocation. And Sweden secretly cooperated with the allies while allowing german troop transports through swedish territory and handing over baltic refugees to the soviets. What our politicians still today call "neutrality"...
        I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat

Ehrm, that sub is old history. Sadly litterally - danish submarines has been abolished, so no more nice pics of us carriers taken through periscopes in shooting range.

Yeah, it's sad, but at least not as sad as if Radikale Venstre was dictating danish policy.
          Well, at least you got a dane back in Formula 1.

Comment

To be clear, I don't make the paralelism that US is the Nazi Germany of today and that those who cooperated with Nazi Germany do that today. I'm just saying that maybe since the US fought against the Germans then the Danes maybe have a "connection" to the US "against" their neighboors.

But other reasons are also possible. Even "similar spirits". Religion is one. Way of life/thinking etc.

Comment

Small countries need to be protected by a larger country, otherwise they risk becoming the ***** of someone nasty. Works the same as in prison

Comment

Originally posted by Bereta_Eder

Well to be honest I don't know. I try to understand why the countries which support US do that. The most common reason is that US and their interests coincide. I'd even go as far as saying that that's almost a 100% of the cases.

Probably it is the case of Denmark as well. Then the second question is why do those interests coincide? For example with the UK it's easy to understand. With Denmark it's not so easy. So I was wondering that perhaps there's a "spiritual" connection to the US there as well as there is between US-UK. So maybe it has to do with WW2 and the role of the americans in it? Vis a vis your neighboors the Germans.

I mean it's strange. You're Scandinavia and yet you are the only one who supports the US. Kind of like Holland in the underwater countries. Anyway, it is always interesting to search those questions.
                For a starter, there is quite a difference between supporting us and supporting reasons why us is doing something. Well, I guess that that statement is quite incomprehensible to people with certain views on us

Secondly, we were actually liberated by british, so no connection there (at least not on the surface - the fact that the soviets bombed several cities on Bornholm after that and even occupied the island for a while could have made us more us friendly).

According to common interests, I can't find any "official". We are selfsupporting with oil - actually exporting - so thatconspiracy thory isn't carrying. Others ? Well, the only I can find is that both Denmark and us doesn't like despotism and want to spread democracy, so yes, maybe there are coinsiding interests.

You say that denmark is different from other scandinavian countries, and you are quite rigth, my question is just why are the other scandinavian countries acting as they do ? In my opinion it's them that has a problem, not denmark.
                With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Bereta_Eder
                  To be clear, I don't make the paralelism that US is the Nazi Germany of today and that those who cooperated with Nazi Germany do that today. I'm just saying that maybe since the US fought against the Germans then the Danes maybe have a "connection" to the US "against" their neighboors.

But other reasons are also possible. Even "similar spirits". Religion is one. Way of life/thinking etc.
                  Nah I can guarantee you that most danes can't make sense of american religiousity - it's simply too far out.

For a period we had politicians that stated "we can't make a difference" - even some that said "what could we do".

That have changed. We both have politicians that says "we can make a difference" and power to do it. Just don't ask us to invade china or like.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Working...
                  X