Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I'm joining a gym...

What do I start with?

The first thing I need to do is build up stamina, endurance and lung capacity... then I need to loose my flabby belly, and build up my scrawny arms. Then I need to focus my mind so I can concentrate on my study (which I should be doing now. case in point).

Oh, and do you think I'll be made fun of, being an unfit weakling in a fit man's world?

cardio and situps
    free weights
    Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
      cardio and situps
      free weights
      I know what situps are... but the rest I'm not sure.

By cardio do you mean general exercize like running/cycling/swimming etc?

And by free weights do you mean those small weights that you lift with one arm?

Comment

Join a local Kendo dojo. You'll get everything you say you want out of a gym, plus you get to hit people with sticks.
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

If they have rowing machines with flywheels, that is an excellent overall choice for building up muscles and stamina at the same time. Ditto with those skiing machines.

Do they have dance classes? Maybe you can sign up.
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

By cardio do you mean general exercize like running/cycling/swimming etc?
            Tredmills, stationary bikes, aerobics

And by free weights do you mean those small weights that you lift with one arm?
            dumb bells yes, and the bar...
            Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
              dumb bells yes, and the bar...
              N00bs should start with the weight machines.
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Dammit... if there's some 14 year old Korean kid in there telling me to "**** off Noob!" (like there are all over Battle.net)... I'm gonna flip

Comment

Your advice is getting considerably more gay as time progresses.

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                  Do they have dance classes? Maybe you can sign up.
                  Any exercise is better than nothing. Say turn on some music and flail your arms and legs around or use a hula hoop for 20 to 30 minutes each day at home.
                  Could this lead to a showdown between the Red Menace and the Rainbow Phantom, who made his first and last appearance in Volume 6 of Antics of the Orient?? What does this new gay agenda portend for the future? ONLY TIME WILL TELL

[/threadjack]

Comment

Originally posted by Dracon II
                    Dammit... if there's some 14 year old Korean kid in there telling me to "**** off Noob!" (like there are all over Battle.net)... I'm gonna flip
                    Challenge him to a game of Iron Man One City Challenge on the Transcendental level in SMAC

Comment

Originally posted by Verto
                      Your advice is getting considerably more gay as time progresses.
                      Are you saying that all male dancers are homosexuals?

Comment

Challenge him to a game of Iron Man One City Challenge on the Transcendental level in SMAC
                        If they boot you for having a couple of bars of lag... I'm not sure they're gonna have the attention span for TBS

Comment

Free weights and cardio are your best bet. I do four days lifting and four days cardio (overlapped of course :-D) per week. To start, I would do three days lifting and 3-4 days cardio. 30 minutes on a treadmill (jogging/running) or bike, or whatever cardio machine you like. Aerobic classes are probably good too, but I have no first hand experience.

As for what you should do, check out:

http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html - Has some good routines and a lot of pictures of how to do each exercise. I do the intermediate four day split. I don't like full body workouts except to start off with, but it's more a personal preference.

Just make sure in your routine you do squats, bench press, and deadlifts. They are the three best exercises - they work the most muscles. I would see if your gym has personal trainers to show you how to do each exercise. Start with low weight just to get the hang of it and keep increasing it.

However, I would bring a list of exercises to the trainer because at every gym I've been to I've never seen a trainer show someone a squat or deadlift - mostly stuff that is more time consuming and less beneficial.

Losing weight isn't really that hard as long as you stick to your exercise routine and eat fairly healthy. You also don't have to work out for hours and hours - my lifting usually takes me around 45-60 minutes.

Comment

Are you saying that all male dancers are homosexuals?
                            Yes. Whether or not they are open, is another thing.

Comment

They do Yoga classes... so I might give that a try as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X