Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What good has European Union done for you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What good has European Union done for you?

What good has EU done for you personally? This is a serious question. Thanks for replies.

cheaper booze
    CSPA

Comment

Got rid of the Italian lira...

A pizza costs 1.2 billion lira!
      Monkey!!!

Comment

cheaper booze

Really? OK. Good example
        Give me more. How much cheaper BTW?

Comment

I'm not sure exactly how much but the alcohol taxes in Norway and Sweden have been lowered to keep people from going abroad to get their booze.
          CSPA

Comment

European Working Time Directive!
            Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
            Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
            We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
              Got rid of the Italian lira...

A pizza costs 1.2 billion lira!
              I think prices rose most places after the introduction of the €uro. I personally loved rediculous currencies like the lira (never got to use it thoguh) and the greek drakme thing. I saw a Turkish 1.000.000 bill recently. Maybe I'm weird that way but that really cheered me up.
              CSPA

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH
                European Working Time Directive!
                They implemented it where you work and it shortened your workday?

Comment

Single currency

No more time-consuming customs procedures whenever crossing a border, which is quite helpful if you live a stone throw away from one

But most importantly, no wars between EU members for almost 70 years now, (almost?) unprecedented in history
                  Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Gangerolf
                    cheaper booze
                    How'd they manage that?

Comment

2005 - 1945 = 60
                      Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                      Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                      We've got both kinds

Comment

- Coolest frontiers on earth. Do you like to see a building in normal use with the west half in Netherlands and the east part in Germany? Go to Kerkrade/Herzogenrath. You won't notice the frontier - except that on the one side of the road number plates of cars are white, on the other side yellow.

- Not having to change money to travel abroad. It was a pain to get Belgian/Luxemburgian Francs as change if you wanted to buy some food on the way from Nancy to Cologne.

- No problems to work in France. Did it for 2 1/ years.

- Even more endless bureaucracy. ... Oh wait, that's not that good. (I just seriously thought about a regulation that airplanes should have a 4 cm lead shielding to protect staff and passengers from cosmic radiation. I just *wait* for that).
                        Why doing it the easy way if it is possible to do it complicated?

Comment

The Labor opposition in Australia has proposed an EU style institution for the pacific nations (including Australia, and NZ, I think). If you thought the UK, France and Germany dominate the EU... for Australia it'd be like setting up our own little empire.

Comment

single currency. of course prices rising by 100% is just a side effect
                            I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

The financial requirements of the Maastricht treaty have imposed fairly strict limits on social democracy, right?

No problems to work in France. Did it for 2 1/ years.
                              Love that 35 hour week, hey? Enjoy it while you still can.

How has the accession of Eastern European states affected the EU? Is it too early to say? Will it help to raise their standard of living, or will it place greater strain on the west to compete with their lower labour costs?

of course prices rising by 100% is just a side effect
                              The discrepancy would be corrected over time would it not? Have wages risen in Italy to compensate? The tenets of Maastricht and the ECB are fairly anti-inflationary, aren't they?

Comment

Working...
                              X