Italy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Italy

I'm curious, is the reason there aren't any topics about Italy's latest mess, that people aren't informed about it, or just that they've given up on the country?

Tremonti bars Fazio from meeting of World Bank
    By Adrian Michaels in Milan and Andrew Balls in Washington
    Published: September 25 2005 20:44 | Last updated: September 25 2005 20:44

Antonio FazioThe crisis at the heart of Italy's financial establishment spilled on to the international stage on Sunday when Giulio Tremonti, the new finance minister, cancelled, in effect, an expected appearance of Antonio Fazio, the country's central bank head, at a World Bank meeting.

Mr Tremonti on Saturday nominated a more junior official to appear at the meeting of the development committee, the policy setting body for the World Bank. Mr Fazio had been expected to attend as he has represented Italy at the meeting every year since 1999. Instead, he flew back to Rome.

Silvio Berlusconi, Italy's prime minister, last week called for Mr Fazio to resign amid a banking scandal in which the central bank governor has been accused of bias. The call came after Domenico Siniscalco, finance minister, quit over the government's handling of the affair.

An Italian Treasury official said Mr Fazio had not been nominated to attend the World Bank meeting because Mr Berlusconi's comments made clear he did not have the government's support.

Mr Fazio, who is independent of political interference and appointed for life, says he has done nothing wrong. He flew to Washington for the gatherings of the Group of Seven leading economies, International Monetary Fund and World Bank last week. He was followed by Mr Tremonti, the swiftly appointed replacement for Mr Siniscalco, who also wants Mr Fazio out of office.

Mr Tremonti, a former finance minister, has used the time since his reappointment last week to disrupt Mr Fazio's plans and underline how badly Italy needs to resolve the dispute. Mr Tremonti did a comic impression of Mr Fazio for reporters on Friday.

Mr Fazio did attend meetings of the G7 and the international monetary and financial committee, the council of ministers which oversees the IMF.

A senior US Treasury official who was at the G7 meeting with Mr Fazio and Mr Tremonti said there had been "nothing uncivil" between them.

According to Reuters reports from Washington, the IMF said on Sunday that the Italian government needed to do more to curb its deficit.

Alessandro Leipold, an IMF official responsible for Italy, said: "The IMF forecast for the Italian deficit under current legislation is 5.1 per cent of GDP for 2006 against a forecast of 4.7 per cent of GDP by the government. So the fiscal measures planned by the government that are worth $11.5bn (€9.5bn) will not be enough to cut the deficit to 3.8 per cent.
    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Its all too deppressing

My beloved Italy is going down the drain.
    Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

Situation Normal, All Fvcked Up.

Actually, Situation Better Than Normal, All Fvcked Up. (SBTNAFU)
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

You know, this all looks pretty routine for Italian politics. There is always some travesty of democracy going on there
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Mr Fazio, who is independent of political interference and appointed for life

"I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

I'm curious, is the reason there aren't any topics about Italy's latest mess, that people aren't informed about it, or just that they've given up on the country?
            How can you give up something that was going downhill since the time you were born in the first place? Let´s wait until the whole country is messed up like Argentina, then migrate
            I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Has Italy ever been right?
              meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Seriously, I think it's a bit worse this time. In the past it somehow managed to defy gravity and chalk up rapid economic growth despite its chaotic politics. These days its democracy is in doubt, and economic growth is nowhere to be seen. (there are plenty of reasons for optimism in Germany, for instance)

Comment

Originally posted by Datajack Franit

How can you give up something that was going downhill since the time you were born in the first place? Let´s wait until the whole country is messed up like Argentina, then migrate
                    well, the argies are pretty much an offshoot of italy

it is in the blood
                    I need a foot massage

Comment

It´s a matter of sub-culture. There´s this attitude in encouraging personal activities and behaviours that are lesive to the country and to the others.
                      And when you sum all those small things that, at the end, make you hate your country, all you want to do is finishing your studies and get the hell out
                      I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Good lord, compared to you Belgians are fanatic patriots.

Comment

Is 5% all that bad? USA runs at over 3%.
                          Visit First Cultural Industries
                          There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                          Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

I forgot -- how often does Italy change its government? Every three months?
                            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Smiley
                              Is 5% all that bad? USA runs at over 3%.
                              a) 5% is a lot bigger than 3%

b) Neither are truly sustainable in the long run. 3% comes a lot closer, especially given the fact that the US economy grows at somewhere near that rate (between 2.5 and 3% long-term)

c) It's really bad when you're already carrying one of the highest debt loads in the world as Italy is
                              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Killing it is the new killing it
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                              X