• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

whats the meaning of yokel?
    I need a foot massage

Comment

what the heck is a chitterling??
      When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
      "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
      Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

I think yokel just means an uneducated person, according to dictionary.com. Not sure about connotations. I always thought it was used to refer to "white trash."

I appreciate everyone's advice. Tonight I took said gal out to dinner and managed to extract, after an awkward pause, an innocuous explanation for "Ooga-booga." However, she proceeded to state under questioning that

A) She'd rather live in an apartment with 10 white people than 10 black people

and

B) There is no good black literature.

I then claimed that "Cry the Beloved Country" was written by an African but this is apparently not the case (I was corrected by the I-Hop waiter and so looked like a total ass).

Would anyone here really dump the girl even if she WERE moderatly racist? And what is the deal with black literature?

Comment

i would only cause i dont date women . Seriously If you dont agree and find her offensive then yes it might not be worth the aggravation but since your the one dating her it is you that has to decide
          When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
          "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
          Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

statement A is not racist.

statement B is weird. Why would she bring that up. It's like she's given a thought about that, or that she's read that somehwere, likely racist source. While I figure this is not racist per se, it comes from racist view.

Where as statement A is completely and perfectly normal.
            In da butt.
            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf

Point out that Zadie Smith is hotly tipped to win this year's Man Booker prize. If you hear any muttering about "PC", push your index finger up her nose.
              The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

You took her out to dinner at IHOP?

Wait, is anyone really believing any of this?
                Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

He also took her to a KFC.
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                  Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

He's spoiling her.
                    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

What? KFC isn't considered classy in the US?
                      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Zadie Smith is according to Wikipedia only 50% black. I am not an English major but I am still embarrased that I cannot name even a handful of decent modern black authors.

And I-Hop is good ****, and they're open late.

Comment

Man if you are staying up that late you'd better be tapping that azz.
                          We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

under questioning ?

"Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf

You're going out with an ignoramus, or an illiterate.

Langston Hughes, Zora Neale Hurston and James Baldwin and Lorraine Hansberry come immediately to mind; as do Richard Wright, Ralph Ellison, Samuel R. Delany and Octavia Butler- and that's hardly an exhaustive list of African-American writers.

I could include non-American writers, but why bother.
                              Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Ask her what she thinks about Dr. Martin Luther King (i.e. if she knows enough about history to know who he was and what he did )
                                And buy her some good books written by black people as a present

If she´s "only" moderate racist and there aren´t any other problems keep on dating her and convert her to non-racism this way you don´t only have some pleasure with her, but also do a good thing (by decreasing the number of racist people by 1 ).
                                People can change, we have some people of the ultra right skinhead scene here in germany, who successfully split with the scene (despite death wishes by their former comrades) and no help other skins who want to getaway fropm the neonazi-scene. So big chances that you might be successful (and often people are just racist because they don´t know enough about the world and other cultures and therefore are easy prey for racist propaganda)
                                Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                                Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Working...
                                X