X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All Albertans to get $400

Albertans to get $400 each from surplus: Klein

CTV.ca News Staff

Premier Ralph Klein announced Tuesday that each Albertan will receive a $400 cheque from the oil-rich province's unbudgeted surplus, generated by soaring energy prices.

"All I can say to the rest of Canada is remember that we aren't investing this in ongoing programs and program development," he said. "We're doing a one-time investment because we have one-time riches."

Klein said the tax-exempt prosperity dividend will be in one cheque and distributed before the year's end.

Another $2.6 billion in surplus cash would be distributed between two other priority areas -- infrastructure projects and various endowments, he said.

The decision on how the money would be spent came at a cabinet meeting in Lethbridge on Tuesday.

Observers are speculating that while the province will come up with some residency requirements for recipients, they aren't expecting people on social assistance to see their payments reduced because of the cheques.

Finance Minister Shirley McClellan has been assigned to work out the program's details.

While the premier has said he is getting calls from Albertans asking: "Where's my cheque?", the decision has been met with some criticism.

The head of the Calgary Chamber of Commerce issued a release earlier, calling the cheques "an opportunity squandered," saying the money would be better spent on corporate tax cuts.

"If the province is serious about future prosperity, consideration of provincial surpluses must be premised on a fiscal strategy that provides enduring revenue supported by the lowest, most competitive tax structure in Canada," the statement says.

"Bonus cheques simply reinforce an expectation for government handouts, and miss the opportunity to connect lower taxes and the ultimate prosperity bonus of sustained wealth generation and economic development."

Klein dismissed the criticism, insisting that government support was unanimous in support of the dividends.

However, veteran cabinet minister Ty Lund has said he doesn't support dividends and wasn't happy that the issue was not put to a vote.

When Klein was asked about Lund's comments, he conceded there may have been some government members against the proposal, but "the majority ruled."

Earlier, Klein dismissed a poll that suggested Canadians outside his province want a share of Alberta's wealth.

The situation is no different now than it was in the boom of 1980, he said.

"The rest of Canada was saying the same thing then: 'Give me, give me, give me,' " the premier said last week.

"Then the price of oil went down and the rest of Canada was wringing their hands in glee saying, 'You deserved it.'"

A recent report released by the Alberta Energy and Utilities board predicts crude oil prices will remain at or above $50 US a barrel through 2009.

It also said Alberta's oil supply is expected to grow from 1.72 million barrels daily in 2004 to 2.8 million by 2014.

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

I am sorry, I usually approve of your Premier's ( ) financial decisions, but that's stupid.
    urgh.NSFW

Comment

it is just for show

they do it in Alaska also, I think

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Do they give it out to everyone over, say, 16 years of age in Alaska?

It's a great idea to me, as someone currently a student and unemployed.

The provincial government has also ate up all tuition increases for university for the past couple years.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

I don't really know how it works

JM
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

With $400 Canadian dollars I could by a lollypop or even a tank of gas*

*Not including Candians taxes.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

The Canadian dollar is at the highest level since 1992 and rising now, thanks to Bush and rising oil prices.

It's above $0.85 now.

Comment

OWN GOAL!

Comment

Offsides

(learn the rules)

Comment

Originally posted by Az
                    I am sorry, I usually approve of your Premier's ( ) financial decisions, but that's stupid.
                    Very much so.

He's been accused of being asleep at the switch, and this is his response.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)
                    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                      Do they give it out to everyone over, say, 16 years of age in Alaska?

It's a great idea to me, as someone currently a student and unemployed.
                      From what I've heard, you'll have to be a taxpayer, so that will rule out a lot from both those categories.
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)
                      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
                        From what I've heard, you'll have to be a taxpayer, so that will rule out a lot from both those categories.
                        It'll likely be the same as it was when I was in high school -- anyone who filed an income tax return would qualify. Almost everyone at my school then filed one, regardless if they really paid any taxes or not.

Anyway: On a high level it's not the best use of the money, which IMO should've been put in investments in the province's name, for when oil prices suck.

On a low level, it's ****ing awesome, because I don't have a job right now and $400 helps a lot when buying the Xbox 360 in November, which is $399.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                          Offsides

(learn the rules)
                          I knew the rules before you knew the other forum, ok maybe not but I still know the rules. BTW it doesn't have to be a question it just has to be obvious.

Comment

I'd rather they ploughed the whole stinking heap'o-cash into cancer research.

At least some of the King's would be successors are getting the right idea.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin

I knew the rules before you knew the other forum. BTW it doesn't have to be a question it just has to be obvious.
                              God, you're an idiot.
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)

Comment

Working...
                              X