Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Arrogance Rooted in Christian Beliefs

"Jesus Saves"

American churches often send missionaries into other countries to "save" their populations from eternal damnation. Non Christians, regardless of their beliefs, are considered to be going to hell. While missionaries are often some of the most kind and selfless people on this earth, they often hold the view that anyone who is non Christian is not going to get an afterlife.

This means that if you were a Buddhist, and spent your life picking up dying people off the streets, and never hurt anyone in your life, that doesn't matter, in the eyes of these churches, you're still going to burn in hell. On the other hand, if you raped and murdered a bunch of little boys, but then converted to Christianity at the last minute, that means you get a ticket to heaven. Sounds like a fair deal huh?

Because the heart of this country was founded on Christian values, and there has never been another major religion throughout our country, people have not been exposed to it, so they believe Christianity is the only way to go.

I often see reports of someone who dies in the heartland, and invevitably one of his friends will say, "he was a good Christian man." What, like that somehow makes him better than those evil heathens that aren't Christians. Geez.

Anyway, this one-sided view that non Christians somehow don't know what's best, spills over into all of our world views. It's arrogant, and I blame it all on this "Jesus saves," crap.

That's the way I see it.
    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

ZOMG TEH FALWELL!!!

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Re: American Arrogance Rooted in Christian Beliefs

Originally posted by Ted Striker
        American churches often send missionaries into other countries to "save" their populations from eternal damnation...

Anyway, this one-sided view that non Christians somehow don't know what's best, spills over into all of our world views. It's arrogant, and I blame it all on this "Jesus saves," crap.

That's the way I see it.
        Hmmmm... guess what, we weren't the first to send missionaries into other countries... Western Europe was doing that long before we were... So maybe the thread title should be Western Europe Arrogance... since all we did was learn this crap from them
        Keep on Civin'
        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

More stupid generalizations from Ted.
          You have no clue about the diversity that is here.
          INCLUDING RELIGION.
          Probably more than some other countries that will remain nameless

Why am I not suprised.

1/10
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

rah

low quality trolling
            "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

American Arrogance is not due to Christian core values... well, not entirely. We are also arrogant because of the fact that we are better than other countries in that we have more stuff, have a bigger culture base, kick more ass, and win more than any other country.

We kick butt, therefore we are arrogant... because god made us that way,.

U!S!A!

Edit: My grammEr is Bettarer too!
              Monkey!!!

Comment

Silly gereralization, catholics, and the many protestant denominations often have very different views on that matter.

Christianity isnt a monolithic block, like in the next CIV IV game.

0,5/10
                I need a foot massage

Comment

It's only a subset of Christians who believe that all non-Christians (or rather, all non-True Christianstm) are going to hell.
                  <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

i dont really care that fundie christians think im going to hell. Who cares what they think. While lots of liberal Protestants, and lots of agnostics and atheists think that when terrrorists make a living hell for my people here on this earth, the best thing to do is to blame my people for defending themselves.
                    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

My views on this : I consider Christianity a barbaric , imperialist ideology , which does not deserve to be called a religion , and consider the Christian view of God and faith uncivilised and , in general , very backwards .

Want examples ? I've got many . Just ask .

Comment

funny hear that from an Indian...
                        Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

And why would that be ? Note that I'm not trolling here - I'm serious .

Comment

you do know that in most Bibles, there is an injuction to 'spread the word'

also, just because you are telling others about your religion, does not mean that you think they are going to hell if they don't listen to you

also, the east sends out missionaries (a bit different then traditional western missionaries, but missionaries nontheless)

there are plenty of atheists who are strongly against religion, and try to convince people people such, as well

religion is an important part of many peoples lives, as an important beleif (or as the athiests claim, lack of beleif), people try to convince others of it (unless they have another belief to not do so, like many types of Jews do)

Jon Miller
                            (I have some bhuddist tracks which were given to me)
                            Jon Miller-
                            I AM.CANADIAN
                            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Re: American Arrogance Rooted in Christian Beliefs

[QUOTE] Originally posted by Ted Striker
                              "Jesus Saves"

American churches often send missionaries into other countries to "save" their populations from eternal damnation.

as do christian churches from other parts of the world.

Non Christians, regardless of their beliefs, are considered to be going to hell. While missionaries are often some of the most kind and selfless people on this earth, they often hold the view that anyone who is non Christian is not going to get an afterlife.

This means that if you were a Buddhist, and spent your life picking up dying people off the streets, and never hurt anyone in your life, that doesn't matter, in the eyes of these churches, you're still going to burn in hell. On the other hand, if you raped and murdered a bunch of little boys, but then converted to Christianity at the last minute, that means you get a ticket to heaven. Sounds like a fair deal huh?

This is called salvation by faith, IIUC. Euroepans fought about this from 1520 to 1648 or so. Not really my bag. Why whould I cafe about an internal christian division? Christians who beleived in salvation by works, etc were just as quick to kill Jews, if not quieker. and of course in the 20th century the leading Jew killers were not Christians at all.

Because the heart of this country was founded on Christian values, and there has never been another major religion throughout our country, people have not been exposed to it, so they believe Christianity is the only way to go.

If youre defining Christianity to mean evangelicals who beleive in salvation by faith, you are incorrect. OTehr forms of christianity have been widespread. And non Christians, including jews, have been a big part of this country as well.

I often see reports of someone who dies in the heartland, and invevitably one of his friends will say, "he was a good Christian man." What, like that somehow makes him better than those evil heathens that aren't Christians. Geez.

If someone said of someone who died, "he was a good man" would that mean he was better than women?

I want a christain man to be a good christian, and a muslim man to be a good muslim, and jewish man to be a good jew.

I blame this kind of thinking on Republicans, who have underfunding education, and left us a legacy of illogical posters who pollute our boards.

That's the way I see it.

Have a very nice day.
                              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Working...
                              X