X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CyberShy
    175mph (282km/h) :eek!:
    that's a STRONG cat 5 hurricane!
    What's the strongest hurricane (windspeeds) ever measured so far?
    I mentioned it earlier in the thread.
    The highest provable hurricane windspeeds ever measured were 213 mph (340kph). There was a gust recorded in Super Typhoon Niki that was 236mph (378kph), but the instruments were damaged and so we can't be certain that it was accurate. The highest windspeed of a hurricane at landfall was Hurricane Camile, with sustained winds of 210 mph (336kph).

The highest sustained (non-tornadic) windspeed ever accurately recorded was 231 mph (370kph) atop Mt. Washington in New Hampshire and had nothing to do with a cyclone.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• Originally posted by shawnmmcc
      But the track overlay has been adjusted, so that they now show it coming onland in Texas just west of the Louisiana border. Now look at those water temps. Yech.
      This means SW LA is going to get hammered.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• The way things are going, the whole southern coast of the US will have been hammered by the end of the Hurricane season.
        What?

Comment

• Are we looking at the destruction of two major US cities a month apart?

Is this Karma?
          "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
          ^ The Poly equivalent of:
          "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

• I hope not. It would be great propaganda for the jihadists. God has joined the war on their side.

Comment

• Originally posted by chegitz guevara
              I hope not. It would be great propaganda for the jihadists.
              Which ones: Islamists or Christians?

Right. Both.
              What?

Comment

• On tv they said it had weaken.

I would scape if I lived there, poor people.
                I need a foot massage

Comment

• Here's a good list of Category 5 storms.

Interestingly, pairs of Category 5 storms came through in each of 1960 and 1961. In those years, the pairs were close together, much like this year.
                  I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Originally posted by shawnmmcc
                    Oh, and I forgot - if you have to park your car outside, try to park where it won't flood, and somewhere sheltered opposite the side where the worst wind will come from. Definitely do not park it underneath something that can fall, like a tree. Carports can be a mixed blessing, many are not that structurally sound and can end up a liability.

My coworker and I have been watching this, and it did a weird little jog (on the satellite imagery). Ivan did that last year, and Katrina did one too. It's not scientific, but we are convinced it is going to be a bullet, instead of the one that was dodged, so to speak.

Oh, and Mrs. Tuberski - a battery back up and dial-up modem so you can post on Apolyton before your power comes back.
                    Thanks man that helps I have been hearing the hurricane shifted and most we can expect is long spans of rain. Well we are already having lots of cancellations of activities this weekend. We do have a dial up modem in all of the pcs in the house however the only one that has battery back up is the laptop so we will be good for about 5 hours on the laptop. My sons laptop from school also has a modem and a battery back up. Good thing the hospital that scott works at is only 5 minutes away if need we can venture out and charge the battery on the laptops if power is out or we need imediate shelter . But as they say the storm is sliding dosent mean it cant slide back though.
                    When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
                    "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
                    Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

• Long spans of rain can be bad if you're in a flood plain. Also, Rita will generate tornados.

Comment

• Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                        Long spans of rain can be bad if you're in a flood plain. Also, Rita will generate tornados.
                        oh yes she will and though we arent flat like oklahoma we have had our share of tornados. uc where tubers and i live is right in the middle of houston and corpus. Its about 160 maybe 170 miles either way.
                        When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.

Comment

• SA will be on the west side of the hurricane so there will be much less rain and risk for tornados.
                          We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                          If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                          Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

• Remember that Katrina was still a hurricane when it hit Tennesee. Rita is a big bad, and being far insland is no defense against flooding and tornados. One of the 1999 hurricanes that struck N. Caroline killed more people a hundred of miles inland than it did near the coast. Flooding is the great killer of these storms.

Comment

• Originally posted by SpencerH
                              SA will be on the west side of the hurricane so there will be much less rain and risk for tornados.
                              Not necessarily. The two main factors on being the the NE side of the storm are because the speed of the storm is added to the windspeed, and that's where the storm surge piles up.

When Katrina hit us, it was South Dade that took the worst of it, and they were on the trailing edge. I was on the leading edge and we suffered little flooding.

Comment

• Ya know looking at the form of rita the eye of this strom is still heading the same direction it just seems its getting wider and hitting more areas I dont know much about hurricanes so i could be wrong

Comment

Working...
                                X