Lovely Rita

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SpencerH

katrina, winds here were still 50-60 (and gusts higher than that) as it passed 100 miles from Birmingham.
    Wholly ****tte Not good.
    The folks in sa were told to go out and get supplies and stuff we would need to wait the storm out. Guess i should start finding all my candles and flashligts hell in our apts the power goes out in a regular storm cant magaine what the after math of a hurricane will do
    When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
    "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
    Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

• This is why I had stated earlier...its not too early to evacuate..granted this storm possibly could lessen somewhat but still.. ya got them Tornados and all the rain associated with this storm

I feel for ya and hope any in its path make it safely

Gramps
      Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

• People are evacuating now and have been for a while. The main two highways out, I-10 and I-45 are incredibly slow right now though.

CNN is reporting it's the 3rd most powerful hurricane ever.

And it's apparently getting worse.
        "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
        "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
        "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
        "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

• Last year florida, this year the gulf coast....
          If you don't like reality, change it! me
          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• God is showing his anger at the red states!!!!
            Only feebs vote.

Comment

• Katrina created a wedge of destruction from Gulf Coast to Tennesee, covering most of the state of Mississippi.

GePap, last year was unusual with the number of storms that hit Florida. Even in decades of lots of storms, that normally doesn't happen. The two areas of the U.S. that are most frequently hit by hurricanes are North Carolina and Texas.
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• The only reason I said at least a Category 3, instead of a Category 4 or 5, is because of the routine loss of a level of severity while making landfall. A storm surge the size of Katrina's would top the seawall there by several feet.
                The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
                And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
                Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
                Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

• Originally posted by GePap
                  Last year florida, this year the gulf coast....
                  We had Ivan last year that destroyed the Florida/Alabama gulf coast.
                  We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                  If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                  Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

• I saw on CNN a little while ago that current projections have it still as a full-blown hurricane by the time it reaches Austin.
                    "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                    "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                    "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

• Not another one...
                      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• wow the weather folks dont think its gonna weaken to nothing beyond a 4 again. Guess wall the folks that are closer then us is get the hell out and the rest of us sit tight
                        When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
                        "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
                        Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

• many scientists agree that the present hurricane surge is likely part of a 60- to 70-year cycle that changes the strength of ocean currents distributing heat around the globe."
                          Which is probably part of some other longer cycle, we just dont know much about long term atmospheric processes. But we have figured out the ice is likely to return.

Comment

• Originally posted by OzzyKP
                            Not another one...
                            It's still September. We may see another storm before the end of the month, and then we still have two more months to go. August, September, and October are the worst months for cyclones in the North Atlantic. I think we'll see a Hurricane Alpha before the end of the year.
                            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• Originally posted by Kontiki
                              I saw on CNN a little while ago that current projections have it still as a full-blown hurricane by the time it reaches Austin.
                              That's not unpreceidented, though it will upset my friends who just sold their house here and are moving to Austin.

Comment

• Since I do this for a living (aviation weather) here goes (bold three periods were added by me, the other three periods are just how they write them, nothing is edited in those sections):

Hurrican Rita Intermediate Advsisory Number 17
                                2100Z WED SEP 21 2005

... Because Rita will be crossing an area of high heat content during the next 12 to 24 hours...it is expected that the hurricane will maintain its strength. Therafter...the ocean heat content is not as high and the intensity changes will be controlled mainly by eyewall replacement cycles and decreasing heat content. Some weakening is anticipated but Rita is forecast to make landfall as a mjor hurricane...at least category three. ...

... Extended Outlook. Note...errors for track have averaged near 250 NM on day 4 and 325 nm on day 5...and for intenisty near 20 kt each day. ...

I had to manually retype this, I cannot get a link on the web. Note the errors, however, the NOAA has vastly improved its hurricane tracking forecasts over the last decade. Intensity forecasts have not improved to the same degree. To translate - this means that they are much more likely to accurately place landfall than they are intensity at landfall.
                                The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
                                And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
                                Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
                                Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

Working...
                                X