No announcement yet.

New Orleans will Recover!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MOBIUS, you should learn to accept victory graciously. It happens so very rarely for you.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Still sore about when I last put you in your place...
      Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

You wish, *****. I'm the top.
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
          You wish, *****. I'm the top.
          A classic delusion of the self-righteous - I believe that is what I called you on recently...

Comment

DanS
            DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

If the lead article in Salon today is accurate, Southern Lousiana may have to be abandoned for years.

Comment

If the lead article in Salon today is accurate, Southern Lousiana may have to be abandoned for years.
                i read the article, and it doesnt say that. It says theres a lot of bad stuff around. It says no one yet knows the status. It says there isnt enough money in the Superfund. It doesnt say what areas if any need to be abandoned. And it tosses in lots of disconnected facts - for example mentioning overturned rail cars of coke (a processed form of coal) and ore, alongside discussion of actually toxic materials. Many of said materials discussed being things with bad long term effects on the enviornment, but hardly requiring human abandonment, like DDT.
                "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Heres the original exchance:

quote:
                  Originally posted by DanS
                  I've thought about this and there doesn't seem to be a reason why the level of the city can't be raised to above sea level. It would take a lot of fill material, but that has got to be available somewhere.

How fast is New Orleans sinking?

Oh and part of the reason the area around New Orleans is sinking is because of all the oil and gas being pumped out from underground...

You could always close down all the oilfields around Louisiana and fill them in, that might help..."

DanS was talking about the CITY of New Orleans, relative to the question of raising it. In that context "the area around New Orleans" would presumably include the city. NOW it turns out you meant the wetlands south and east of the city - How does subsidence of said wetlands impact DanS original question on raising the level of the city?
                  "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
                    i read the article, and it doesnt say that.
                    It doesn't say that directly, but it says a lot of things that anyone with any brains could figure out that the area is unfit for human habitation and will be for a long time.

Comment

It doesn't say that directly, but it says a lot of things that anyone with any brains could figure out that the area is unfit for human habitation and will be for a long time.

On the contrary. It says they are pushing all the stuff in Ponchartrain, which will be bad for the environment, but will be good for humans.

I have brains, and i did not read it that way. Now quote the exact things that show that the area (and be spefic please - which parishes, exactly) will be unfit for human habitation.

Indeed you said "southern Lousiana" Lake Charles, AFAIK is considered Southern Louisiana, and it hasnt even been evacuated. People are already going back to the parishes north of Lake Ponch, and parts of Jefferon Parish.

So are you saying Orleans Parish will be uninhabitble? the parishes southeast of New Orleans?

Comment

Did you read that part about those toxins settling into the underground water?

Comment

Land subsidence resulting from the extraction of a fluid is much better known in hydrogeology -- there are quite a few examples of it happening in California due to overuse of aquifers.

It's all a matter of pressure, really. When a stratum of rock is saturated with a fluid (water or oil), that fluid bears a good deal of the pressure exerted on that bed by overlaying strata. When fluid is removed, the bed's interal pressure is reduced, and the bed will compress until a new pressure equilibrium is established.

Yes, bedrock can compress, and the extent to which it can compress is dependent on several factors, but mainly depends on the amount of space between grains in the rock. If water or oil is filling that space, the bed will resist compression (collapsing of the space between grains) better than if those spaces were filled with air.

It's been a long time since I studied this, the other geologists on the board can probably do a better job at explaining it than I can.
                          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Colon
                            Mobius, wouldn't you think that NO is sinking because of the same reason Venice is sinking? They don't even extract oil in the immediate vicinity.
                            I thought Venice started sinking because they were extracting groundwater...

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
                              DanS was talking about the CITY of New Orleans, relative to the question of raising it. In that context "the area around New Orleans" would presumably include the city. NOW it turns out you meant the wetlands south and east of the city - How does subsidence of said wetlands impact DanS original question on raising the level of the city?
                              Well that is the whole point - I wasn't directly answering his question, merely using it to support my argument about the vanishing wetlands and the fact that this trend needs to be reversed if NoLa doesn't want to suddenly become an island in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico...

When I say 'around' I am being non-specific, however I am also not including New Orleans in the comment otherwise I would have specifically said so.

The deliberate omission on my part is that I don't know whether New Orleans itself is affected in this way, and we all know how foolish it is to make unsupported assumptions on Poly don't we...

I am tempted to comment only in what I do know, hence the wording. Now it is entirely possible that New Orleans may in a small part be affected by this phenomenon, but the links in question haven't specifically proved this. The fact that New Orleans is literally surrounded by oil and gas fields - well I'll let you draw your own conclusions...

Well, well, well...

(Please excuse awful pun!)

So I think what you're saying is that you're defending DanS' inability to read properly...

Remind me to get you to defend me in an argument in the future...

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
                                Land subsidence resulting from the extraction of a fluid is much better known in hydrogeology -- there are quite a few examples of it happening in California due to overuse of aquifers.

It's all a matter of pressure, really. When a stratum of rock is saturated with a fluid (water or oil), that fluid bears a good deal of the pressure exerted on that bed by overlaying strata. When fluid is removed, the bed's interal pressure is reduced, and the bed will compress until a new pressure equilibrium is established.

Yes, bedrock can compress, and the extent to which it can compress is dependent on several factors, but mainly depends on the amount of space between grains in the rock. If water or oil is filling that space, the bed will resist compression (collapsing of the space between grains) better than if those spaces were filled with air.

It's been a long time since I studied this, the other geologists on the board can probably do a better job at explaining it than I can.
                                Of course there is a very neat solution to all of this, which is linked to my little jokey clue about filling them in...

CO2 sequestration

Or basically a Win/Win/Win situation where we can bury billions of tonnes of greenhouse gases, rebalance the pressure equilibrium (possibly even raise the land?) and the added benefit of increasing well efficiency by flushing out the last dregs of hydrocarbons in them - which could extend the useful life of these fields...

Hell, if we did that you could even argue that using hydrocarbons would become a carbon neutral activity!

Comment

Working...
                                X