No announcement yet.

New Orleans will Recover!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw that in Scientific American, I have my own problems with it.

Mainly dealing with injecting superfluids into areas that may have old inactive faults.

It's been long known that indroducing fluids into a previously "dry" area -- whether via injection wells, or through the increased water pressure caused by flooding a valley with a dam -- can activate previously "dead" faults, probably through simple lubrication, and thereby start earthquakes.

While the fields proposed for use already have fluids, what is proposed is use of a superfluid -- something considerably slippier.

edit: my own solution would be to enhance the "natural" process, and find a way to encourage carbonate deposition by those creatures already doing it.

In other words, raise more shellfish.
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Land subsidence resulting from the extraction of a fluid is much better known in hydrogeology -- there are quite a few examples of it happening in California due to overuse of aquifers.
      Yes, that doesn't sound so funny, considering the normally relatively much shallower depths of the aquifer versus oil and natural gas production. However, I don't know the depth of the Brazilian fresh-water aquifer that has been talked about a lot recently.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

what about the Dutch!
        Monkey!!!

Comment

Nigel Powers - There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.
          "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Running Water in parts of NoLa!

Already there are signs of life again with the port and airport open again, and it seems the French Quarter is getting itself back on its feet too...

Bush visits New Orleans as clean-up operation gathers pace

C'mon the Big Easy!
            Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Originally posted by MOBIUS
              Still sore about when I last put you in your place...
              No, he's still waiting for the first time.
              He's got the Midas touch.
              But he touched it too much!
              Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Working...
              X