• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung
    B♭3

Comment

Flash? Its still an HD player, IIRC.
      No, its Flash. They got a huge deal from Samsung.

And what's so wrong with the headphone jack being on the bottom? It's not like that is a major move.
      If my Mini's headphone jack was on the bottom, it would be a pain in the ass, given that I wear it on my belt. But I suppose people won't wear the Nano on their belts, so its probably less of an issue...
      Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

armbands!!

Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
        Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
        giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

And the phone/mp3 player combo will never take off to the mainstream.
          Why? I certainly could use one. I doubt I'm going to buy this one, though... since it's Apple. :/

Comment

Its size, compared to the Shuffle

Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed
              Samsung
              Other Korean companies are not happy with Samsung. Why did they give Apple, an American company, a huge discount on Flash memory (reportedly, a 50% discount), and they didn't give one to them?

From Engadget:

Well, this was bound to happen: Korean MP3 player manufacturers are none too pleased with Samsung’s decision to sell out its compatriots and give archrival Apple a super excellent discount on those 2GB and 4GB flash memory modules used in the new iPod nano. Samsung gave Apple such a sweet deal (supposedly in the area of 50%) that now no one else can expect to compete on price, with a spokesperson from ReignCom, the company behind the iRiver brand, dejectedly declaring that since they can, “hardly declare a price war with Apple. We’ll counter Apple’s challenge by releasing new concept products.” A Samsung Electronics exec defended the move, saying that volume buyers get better deals, and that his company, “didn’t mean to do any harm to domestic MP3 manufacturers.” Hey, business is business, right?
              Last edited by Nostromo; September 9, 2005, 15:30.

Comment

Business is business. Samsung

Though, it is kinda a shame...
                B♭3

Comment

Other Korean companies are not happy with Samsung. Why did they give Apple, an American company, a huge discount on Flash memory (reportedly, a 50% discount), and they didn't give one to them?

Apple has a 3/4 market share of all players in the US. That's why.
                  Only feebs vote.

Comment

Business is business .

**** 'em if they get pissed.
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I reckon the nano will fail.

My reasoning is simple. Every time Apple has introduced an iPod, folk have said that it will bomb. Everyone thinks this one will sell bucketloads. That means Apple will be out of business in a year.
                      Only feebs vote.

Comment

Apple may need to change the name of the iPod Nano, since it's a blatant ripoff of the Creative's "Nano" player, which launched earlier in the year.

Always copying others, that Apple...
                        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

The Ars technica review of the Nano.

When Apple announced the new iPod nano last week, we knew two things: we had …

Its not great, its just OK. A subpar arstechnica review, IMO. A whole page on destroying the poor thing (Asher will enjoy this), and a whole page on the autopsy. Its tiny, but it sure can take a beating! Not a word on the most important thing: the sound quality.

Careful!

Comment

It uses the same chips, more or less, as all the other iPods.
                            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

My problem with the Ars review is that they spent a lot of time trying to break it, but they way they tried to break it was always the same. My guess from looking at it is that it is weakest when bent or twisted in the middle. Dropping it from a height or even running over it doesn't really test how likely the shell is to buckle in the middle.
                              "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Originally posted by Koyaanisqatsi
                                My problem with the Ars review is that they spent a lot of time trying to break it, but they way they tried to break it was always the same. My guess from looking at it is that it is weakest when bent or twisted in the middle. Dropping it from a height or even running over it doesn't really test how likely the shell is to buckle in the middle.
                                The true test for these tiny gadgets is how easy it is to lose them. When a gust of wind can sweep them from your desk into the wastebasket, I imagine that they'll get lost rather easily.
                                He's got the Midas touch.
                                But he touched it too much!
                                Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Working...
                                X