Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

USA Makes Strange Decisions? Check This Out.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We've had to use serious faces on passports in the UK from as long as I've ever had one, which long predates facial-recogition software.

The reason always given was "it's a serious document, not a laughing matter". Everyone, AFAIK, has always accepted it and not complained. I've never ever heard anyone complain about it and I'm amazed to see how amazed you guys are to discover this.

Comment

Maybe that's because most people smile on their IDs over here (France)
      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus
        We've had to use serious faces on passports in the UK from as long as I've ever had one, which long predates facial-recogition software.

The reason always given was "it's a serious document, not a laughing matter". Everyone, AFAIK, has always accepted it and not complained. I've never ever heard anyone complain about it and I'm amazed to see how amazed you guys are to discover this.
        The theory, I think, is that smiling distorts the face in a way that makes it harder to recognize; comparing a blank expression on a person to the blank experssion on his photo ID is easier than comparing a smiling person's face to a picture of him smiling.

The easiest way to compare faces manually for ID recognition, though, is to look at them upside-down. Great technique for looking exclusively at documents; unfortunately, somewhat less practical in an airport customs line.
        "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Computers are very bad at doing what we humans do well. We are very bad at what they do well. Computers and humans are pretty much complementary.

Why bother spending zillions of $ in trying to make computers to recognise faces, while you can simply put a person there and do the job 100x better?
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
            Computers are very bad at doing what we humans do well. We are very bad at what they do well. Computers and humans are pretty much complementary.

Why bother spending zillions of $ in trying to make computers to recognise faces, while you can simply put a person there and do the job 100x better?
            Please think before posting.

The idea is to match the faces against a database of many thousands, if not tens or hundreds of thousands of faces.

What kind of person can do that.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I heard smilling to a US immigration official can get you barred so I don't htink its a problem
              Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
              Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

That's only if you wink and grab your crotch while smiling.
                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                X