Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

USA Makes Strange Decisions? Check This Out.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USA Makes Strange Decisions? Check This Out.

UK not allowed to smile on passport photos?
    Must look "natural" ?

(You know who you are, insert name), I think UK just outdid USA.

Congrats.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Canada has the same rules, as do many other countries.

The US is the strange one here.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

If your from any other country, what reason do you have to smile?
      "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Asher, you're a w@nker.
        Normal face? WTF is a normal face, and you find it acceptable that a government spend time and issues directives on not smiling?

If we're out of step, I prefer it.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Because we understand what true freedom is, rather than theocratic oppression masquerading as freedom.
          Last edited by Asher; September 6, 2005, 17:23.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

If you smile, face recognition software may not work.
            Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Flowery language that when broken down to basics, means we need more straight jackets, please.

Comment

Originally posted by techumseh
                ding ding

Comment

exactly what techumseh said.

And it is the Americans who want to use more protective measures in passports so stop saying this is weird, this actually has meaning, safety issues, that you demanded .
                  In da butt.
                  "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                  THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                  "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Grins banned from passport pics
                    Travellers have been ordered not to look too happy in their passport photographs to avoid confusing facial recognition scanners.

Toothy, open mouthed grins are being outlawed from the tiny 35mm by 45mm photographs because they will throw off scanners used at airports.

Long fringes and head coverings, are also banned, under the new regulations along with dummies in babies' mouths.

The new type of passports are being introduced in a bid to fight terrorism.

A Home Office spokesman said: "When the mouth is open it can make it difficult for facial recognition technology to work effectively."

The machines work by matching key points on the holder's face, such as the mouth and eyes, with the photograph.

'Neutral expression'

It is easier for it to recognise a neutral expression with the mouth closed.

Chief executive of the UK Passport Service (UKPS) Bernard Herdan said: "These new guidelines are an important step in the development of the new biometric ePassport and use of facial recognition technology that will be introduced in 2005 as part of the ongoing fight against fraud and international terrorism."

The UKPS is planning to implement a facial recognition image biometric in the British passport book from late 2005 to early 2006.

It is hoped the biometric image will help to counter identity fraud and verify the identity of the holder against the document.

The new rules say "photographs must show no shadows: your face looking straight at the camera, a neutral expression, with your mouth closed."

Head coverings

Eyes must be open and clearly visible, and there must be no sunglasses, tinted glasses or hair across the eyes, it adds.

Anyone who wears glasses must wear them at the end of their nose so they do not cover their eyes. They must also ensure the lenses do not produce reflections.

No head coverings are allowed unless they are worn for a religious belief.

The new photographic regulations are effective immediately but the Passport Service says it will exercise some flexibility until early 2005.

Existing passport holders will not need to have their current passports updated, but they will have to comply with the new guidelines when they renew their passports.

Comment

I wonder how this works with folks that actually wear glasses and have contacts. If u go to have ur pic taken must you have one with them on and take out ur contacts and then put them back in for the same passport?? Seems to me a smile is more face defining then glasses or contacts go figure
                      When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
                      "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
                      Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

I think the ones who actually developed the technique and software knows the requirements for it to work properly. Sorry to rain in your party, but that's the way it goes. The good thing is, we don't have to think. They know.
                        In da butt.
                        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by techumseh
                          WTF. I'm beginning to understand why the Brits are so paranois about their mandatory ID. It seems the British authorities do everything they can to make their IDs look like the über-restrictive thing, where nothing is allowed and where everything is forbidden or recorded

For the record, last time I renewed my ID, I said to the clerk I felt I had a astupid smile on my pic. "Why? You look like an actor" she replied Such little things give the impression that IDs are still about humans, not about processing ourselves into a huge and restrictive machine.
                          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                            Flowery language that when broken down to basics, means we need more straight jackets, please.
                            Does that mean you can't understand the long words?

Comment

I still maintain it's a jackass directive. Face recognition attempt or not.
                              No wonder Brits are so many times thought to be dour.

Comment

Working...
                              X