No announcement yet.

Baghdad Stampede Kills Hundreds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those who land on feet have more chance of survival...

Over 720 persons are reported to have died jumping from the Golden Gate Bridge. A review of 100 consecutive autopsies showed that, in the majority of cases, massive pulmonary contusion, pneumothorax, laceration or perforation of the heart, great vessels, or lungs by displaced ribs were the causes of immediate death. Irreparable fractures of the liver or spleen were the most common abdominal injuries. The persons fatally injured appeared to have entered the water in a horizontal position, experiencing maximal deceleration. In contrast, six survivors entered the water feet first with more gradual deceleration. These survivors remained conscious but sustained similar injuries of lesser degree; only one sustained rib fractures. Fifty per cent had fractures of the liver or spleen requiring operative therapy. Fifty per cent sustained lung contusions and subsequent pneumothoraces. Suspicion of underlying injuries to the liver, spleen, and lungs is essential during resuscitation of those who survive impact with water.

Over 720 persons are reported to have died jumping from the Golden Gate Bridge. A review of 100 consecutive autopsies showed that, in the majority of cases, massive pulmonary contusion, pneumothorax, laceration or perforation of the heart, great vessels, or lungs by displaced ribs were the causes of …

Comment

Kuci
      urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
        uhmmm children usually can't swim

re: cyanide

a lot of people in the third world never get the chance to learn to swim (or ride a bike or ski for that matter).
        CSPA

Comment

Az, you obviously aren't familiar with the differential equation describing free fall with air friction . Not that that was what I was aiming at with my comment about kids, but never mind. I think MOEBIUS is right, I'm getting awfully close to producing charts and diagrams, something I'd rather not do in this thread out of symbolic respect for the victims.

Comment

Those who land on feet have more chance of survival...

Again, what's that to do with mass? If anything, it proves that babies have less chances of survival, because they exert lower pressure on the water surface upon entry, so they'll have less chance of breaking it, and more chance of crashing into the water, and not penetrating it. Because that's why those who land vertically survive: they break the water surface.

Btw, Mr. Aeronautics engineer, I am awaiting your Diff. Eq. . I was sure that a the surface is a pretty good approximation if we're dealing with a spherical body ( from this air pollution course I took once ), but I am intrigued.
            urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion
              This one is 23 meters and people jump from it every year.

How many people fell in the water, did they all die?
              It has been a very deadly bridge nevertheless.
              Has the crap copy been constructed allready?
              "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
              "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

You guys need to consider the fact that mass increases much faster than surface area as the linear dimensions increase. Lets say the adult is twice as big as the kid in any dimension. That would give him 8 times the mass of the child but his legs would only have 4 times the surface area to absorb the impact. Thus his legs would be subjected to twice the pressure as the kid's legs. This is all assuming their bodies have roughly the same proportions and they fall on solid ground. It may be very different when you fall into water, but I leave it to you experts to debate that.
                The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

Idiotic discussion.

10 or so people falling on your head from 30 meters while you try to swim, will surely kill both you and them, assuming you survived the 30 meter fall in the first place.
                  So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                  Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Originally posted by Chemical Ollie
                    Idiotic discussion.
                    You tell 'em CO - these knuckleheads won't listen to me...
                    Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

A moment of silence

(\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Because they were Muslims? I have a hard time believeing you'd be the first to propose the same for Jews, Christians or followers of Falun Gong.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                          excessive thumb usage

Ted Striker
                          We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

[bad humor]

By the time hundreds of them fell off the bridge, did the later ones really have as far to fall?

[/bad humor]
                            "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

965 now.
                              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
                                Because they were Muslims? I have a hard time believeing you'd be the first to propose the same for Jews, Christians or followers of Falun Gong.
                                Is this your contribution to the thread?

Take your political axe grinding elsewhere, Winston.
                                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                                X