Baghdad Stampede Kills Hundreds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this sucks

what sucks more is that its not I don't hear about it anywhere on US media...

aren't Muslims always stampeding each other?

does anyone remember my old sig about the Ha'ajj?
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman
      I don't think India is a grain importer.
      You are correct. India is apparently neither an importer nor exporter. It is projected to become an importer as incomes grow, but presumably NO will be dealt with by that time.

Increasing grain prices COULD cause a shift of incomes within India however.

The notion that the this is comparable to the missing girl story, or that US media focus on a disaster which is causing the at least temporary abandonment of a major American city is somehow US navel gazing, is simply absurd.

And if you live outside the USA and dont want to watch US media, you are of course free to watch BBC, or Al jazeera, or whatever.
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

wow 15 posts and we're already in to an in-depth discusion on the finer points of the indian grain market :/
        "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Gotta love poly
          urgh.NSFW

Comment

So, is Tigris deep or fast or cold...? If people fell in it unhurt, I'd expect a majority to swim to the shore...?

CNN's site is very terse on the whole story...

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion
              So, is Tigris deep or fast or cold...? If people fell in it unhurt, I'd expect a majority to swim to the shore...?
              well FOXNews is reporting the people died instantly from hitting the water because that's where Saddam dumped all his chemical weapons
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

How high is the bridge anyway?

Comment

30 meters

link: http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/...ain/index.html
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

from the CNN story:

The attack didn't stop pilgrims from continuing their rituals, marked in part by self-flagellation
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                      30 meters

link: http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/...ain/index.html
                      ouch!
                      "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
                      "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Ouch. Survivable though, I think.

Comment

635 people would disagree with you.
                          "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

This one is 23 meters and people jump from it every year.

How many people fell in the water, did they all die?

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

You live in India, and you think the loss of the US's major grain shipping port is trivial? What impact will it have in India when world grain prices increase?
                              First - I explicitly said that I am trying not to trivialise the Now Orleans disaster .

Secondly , it will have no domestic impact on the Indian grain market . None . Zilch . Nada . In fact ( though I hate to say it ) , it might be actually benificial to the exporter of food - they'd get better margins . India is an exporter of food . In fact , India could swamp the US market with grain if protectionist policies and subsidies were removed .

But let's not threadjack here . I don't really know what to say about stampedes - the affected people can't be called victims , as , to be a victim , there has to be some entity which is causing the victims' problems . Now what happens when the entity causing the suffering is inflicting it on itself ( as usually happens in stampedes ) ?

Comment

I think they are victims. Who's at fault?

MY preliminary guess, in order of importance:

1. The ones who shot at them with mortar
                                2. The one who started the rumor
                                3. The city authority for allowing such large gatherings in dangerous times

And I must say that this is a huge tragedy... it's somewhat disturbing even to discuss it if you stop for a moment and think about the number of dead.

Comment

Working...
                                X