Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New statistic! 20% of Americans think the universe is geocentric!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lord of the mark

Bush wants to send men to Mars. Im sure a very large number of the folks who voted for him think thats a poor idea, as compared to say, using the money for tax cuts, or invading Syria. And some folks who like Mars exploration, voted against Bush anyway. I dont know how to break this sad fact to you, but astronomy and physics related issues dont dominate too many elections in the western world

Now global warming is something else again, but plenty of folks who ARE good copernicans dont seem to understand THAT
    I've never claimed that it's a one to one correspondence. It's obviously not. But the effect is there. Otherwise you're claiming that public attitudes have nothing to do with individual policy decisions. The fact is, they do...
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

We agree on the need for better scientific education. I just happen to think that e.g. differences on the use of genetic manipulation are not just a problem of scientific understanding, but also one of personal or national preference - that is, a basic difference of opinion. Which should be respected.

I'm also inherently sceptical of putting too strong a faith in scientific infallibility.

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

who exactly has opposed that?
        Winston hasn't opposed it; he's merely denied that it makes any difference one way or the other.
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
          We agree on the need for better scientific education. I just happen to think that e.g. differences on the use of genetic manipulation are not just a problem of scientific understanding, but also one of personal or national preference - that is basic difference of opinion.
          Well, duh. But better understanding does make a difference. Like it or not, some people's opinions on some subjects are based on ignorance. One of those subjects is creationism. Another is Europe's phobia of GM crops. Some people who aren't ignorant may be opposed to any GM on some sort of weird moral naturistic basis. But most of it is fear and paranoia based.

I'm also inherently sceptical of putting too strong a fith in scientific infallibility.
          There is no such thing as scientific infallibility. I've never claimed that there was. But I do know that science does a lot better than any other methodology we've tried. It's certainly better than no methodology at all.
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Not everybody's "opinion" is as valid as everybody else's. Ignorance is not as valid as knowledge.

I'm not going to try to prevent the ignorant from voting. I will try to educate the ignorant in the firm belief that decisions made based on knowledge are generally better than decisions based on ignorance.
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
              Not everybody's "opinion" is as valid as everybody else's. Ignorance is not as valid as knowledge.
              Wake up call for Winston...

I'm not going to try to prevent the ignorant from voting. I will try to educate the ignorant in the firm belief that decisions made based on knowledge are generally better than decisions based on ignorance.
              Exactly, if we had fewer ignorant people, perhaps the invasion of Iraq would never have taken place...
              Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Well, duh.

At least we're in agreement here.

But I do think there's a need for distinction between what is the indiputable, scientifical truth - and what has to do with personal opinion, which may be formed by a number of non-scientific circumstances, including emotion, past personal experience, etc. This last category may include the question of creationism, questions of genetic manipulation, and possibly organ donation, use of authopsies, a whole range of issues where people have a difference of opinion not based on hard facts, but personal perception. Those are individual choices which should all be respected. And whether they have any significant bearing on how people vote (which I think you overestimate a little) is entirely beside the point, to me.

Comment

And FWIW, I personally think that in this country, people who hold superstitious beliefs, or who in general base their opinions more upon emotion than fact, are far more dominant to the left of centre than to the right.

Just to clear up the misconception that seems to be forming among some that I'm touting my own party-political horn here. I'm not.

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST

SO she believes in Azathoth?
                    Trey Azathoth
                    Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                    Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                    Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Let's see how the average frenchman scores.

Who exactly did they poll? What age group, what geographic area? Does this include illegal immigrants and five year old children? The response you will get in ANY part of New Hampshire will be widly different then most of South Dekota. Urban, suburban?

Most people have no freaking idea what radiation is. 90% of apolyton is unable to give a textbook answer..... most people will simply describe the effects of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Saras

Trey Azathoth
                        The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

I've never claimed that it's a one to one correspondence. It's obviously not. But the effect is there. Otherwise you're claiming that public attitudes have nothing to do with individual policy decisions. The fact is, they do...
                          yeah, but whats the marginal value to democracy of more money on education in astronomy and physics, versus say, economics, or foreign languages? Or maybe you just end up with "more education is good for democracy".
                          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

These statistics are bull. If someone asked me such a dumb question, I might just give them a stupid answer.

Comment

Yes, never exclude the possibility that people answering a survey might be messing with the pollster's mind.
                              "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Vesayen
                                Let's see how the average frenchman scores.
                                The 'sun goes around the earth' question was sooo Poly2004.

Yes, never exclude the possibility that people answering a survey might be messing with the pollster's mind.

Comment

Working...
                                X