Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New statistic! 20% of Americans think the universe is geocentric!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Q Cubed
    I'm not sure you're referring to me, but I was implying that the OP might not have been completely serious about the article.
    Ah, I didn't get that Q Cubed, you're right.

My mom believes in reincarnation, gnomes, fairies and beautiful music playing in outer space. That's her. Since she's in no position of authority on these or any related subjects, what does it really matter?

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber

I think that this is a belief that we can agree could be shared by anyone that has not been educated in anyway otherwise since it would fit their daily experience. .
      given how many people in my community are recent arrivals from countries where the most minimal education is NOT universal, id be surprised if they were all good copernicans.
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

given how many people in my community are recent arrivals from countries where the most minimal education is NOT universal, id be surprised if they were all good copernicans.
        and some might have even more exotic beliefs that do not involve revolution at all
        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Counter-revolutionaries!?!
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Winston

Ah, I didn't get that Q Cubed, you're right.

My mom believes in reincarnation, gnomes, fairies and beautiful music playing in outer space. That's her. Since she's in no position of authority on these or any related subjects, what does it really matter?
            Oh, but she is. With her vote.
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Well, I'll try my best to steer her right next time there's a referendum on gnomes.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

Oh, but she is. With her vote.
                "Royal Canadian Navy attempts to retake island, is defeated by gnomes and fairies. More at eleven"
                "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Well, I'll try my best to steer her right next time there's a referendum on gnomes.
                  Think about it, Winston.

In a modern democracy where public policy is often shaped by public attitudes, isn't a well-informed citizenry a vital piece of the puzzle?

I'm not asking for a nation of experts, but a certain amount of scientific literacy is essential...
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

The Earth is the centre of the Universe, or rather everywhere is the centre of the universe, or should that be nowhere. The wrongness of the statement is not really a problem as its all perspective until you start qualifying what you mean..
                    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

KH,

Sorry, I don't think there's any connection. Views on general politics are determined by different things.

And tread carefully now. I'm sure you wouldn't want to advocate against democracy as we know it.

Comment

In a related story, my older sister recently asked me if humans hunted dinosaurs into extinction.
                        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

KH,

Sorry, I don't think there's any connection. Views on general politics are determined by different things.
                          Huh? Yes, obviously who you will vote for is not just determined by a party's stance on a given scientific issue.

This doesn't mean that the public's attitudes don't make a difference. They do..

It feels like you're being deliberately obtuse here.
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
                            In a related story, my older sister recently asked me if humans hunted dinosaurs into extinction.
                            My mother didn't think dinosaurs actually existed until she was 30. She thought that the stories she'd heard about them were akin to myths about dragons and unicorns...
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                              I don't see any sublty, Q3. It looks like a stright forward endorsment.
                              I suppose it does look like that. Even if the title is misleading towards what up to 20% of Americans may believe.
                              B♭3

Comment

And tread carefully now. I'm sure you wouldn't want to advocate against democracy as we know it.
                                Why would you think I was? Advocating a better scientific education for the public = advocating a coup by the scientists?
                                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                                X