Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New statistic! 20% of Americans think the universe is geocentric!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New statistic! 20% of Americans think the universe is geocentric!

The first bit of the article builds up the guy. Then it reveals some of his data:

Dr. Miller's data reveal some yawning gaps in basic knowledge. American adults in general do not understand what molecules are (other than that they are really small). Fewer than a third can identify DNA as a key to heredity. Only about 10 percent know what radiation is. One adult American in five thinks the Sun revolves around the Earth, an idea science had abandoned by the 17th century.

Then it goes onto a bit of his bio, and why he thinks science education sucks, namely high school education isn't great, party because of its reliance on property taxes.

Anyway:

20% of adult Amis think that the sun revolves around the earth? Depressing, innit?

It's no wonder evolution has such trouble getting a fair shake in some regions.
    B♭3

Jon Miller looks a lot older than I expected.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

You know, this country is ina lot of trouble.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

it depends on how you look at it

Comment

No! You think?
          Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

A lot of this depends on exactly how those stupid surveys pose the questions. Curiously, we're never given any information about this, just some useless piece of 'sensational' statistic.

IMO, the really stupid people are the ones who actually form an opinion of the surrounding world based on half-truths like this.

Comment

I'm not sure you got the subtle manner in which I posted the article.
              B♭3

Comment

Winston calling a PhD teaching at Northwestern stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                  Jon Miller looks a lot older than I expected.
                  I wonder if he says "Jon Miller" after every time he speaks.
                  "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
                  "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed
                    I'm not sure you got the subtle manner in which I posted the article.
                    I'm not talking about the article, but how the questions were posed.

And another thing, who could say that those results couldn't be duplicated in most any country in the Western world?

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
                      And another thing, who could say that those results couldn't be duplicated in most any country in the Western world?
                      I dunno. Y'all in generally seem a lot more informed about things.

Comment

I'm not sure you're referring to me, but I was implying that the OP might not have been completely serious about the article.
                        B♭3

Comment

Re: New statistic! 20% of Americans think the universe is geocentric!

Originally posted by Q Cubed
                          :

Dr. Miller's data reveal some yawning gaps in basic knowledge. American adults in general do not understand what molecules are (other than that they are really small). Fewer than a third can identify DNA as a key to heredity. Only about 10 percent know what radiation is. One adult American in five thinks the Sun revolves around the Earth, an idea science had abandoned by the 17th century.
                          sun earth, earth sun, Something revolves around something, whatever. This is not about copernicanism, its about Attention deficit disorder, or just ordinary folks not bothering to listen to closely to pollsters.
                          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

I don't see any sublty, Q3. It looks like a stright forward endorsment.

Comment

hmm so if I read the article correctly, they didn't say the UNIVERSE was geocentric-- they merely thought the sun revolved around the earth-- was there other material that indicated more?

I think that this is a belief that we can agree could be shared by anyone that has not been educated in anyway otherwise since it would fit their daily experience. I am not really shocked at this result and doubt that the holders of this view have much opinion as to the how the other planets and stars move in this scenario.

I have also noticed that you can get 20% of most survey samples to agree with lots of outlandish things. I have often wondered if that many people are really that uninformed or whether 10-15% of the population are just jokesters .
                              You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Working...
                              X