Building a new computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a new computer

I keep wanting to get a new machine but lack of money or dilusions of satisfaction with my current set up keep getting in my way. I was days away from getting a Powerbook when Mac announced they'd be going with Intel, so I've decided to hold fire on the laptop front until then.

Meantime, I reckon I can build a respectable system for less than £800... preferably as close to £600 as possible. Peripherals aren't an issue. I've been looking around and this is what I've earmarked so far:

Case: Antec TX640B-UK £73.96
    Motherboard: K8N Neo4 Platinum (939) £80.20
    Soundcard: SB Audigy 2 Value £28.21
    Graphics: XFX 6600GT £105.00
    Hard Disk: DiamondMax Plus10 200Gb S150 £58.82
    RAM: Corsair Value Select DDR400 PC3200 £76.26 (2x512Mb)
    Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3000 (1.8Ghz) £107.10
    DVDRW: LiteOn SOHW-1673S-02C £22.98

Grand total: £611.68

Any thoughts?

The main use for this box would be your usual work/internet stuff, with some gaming. I'm not a massive gamer but I do like to cause the occasional spot of carnage now and again, this is one of two reasons I don't like my current box. It's nearly 3 years old, P4 2.8GHz w/512Mb DDRRAM, noisy 60Gb hard disk, paltry Geforce FX 5500 (what the **** was I thinking). The whole thing sounds like Rubens Barrichello having a multiple orgasm.

A quiet system is important then, which is why some may think the graphics card and processor are underspecified, especially considering that the motherboard would be at home in a system costing twice as much.

Some possible enhancements could be the GA-K8NXP-9
    motherboard which sounds a lot better, but costs ~£110. I'm keen on putting two hard disks in as well but that's just a useless niceity really. Would I get any significant benefit by using Windows XP Pro X64 edition? I've researched it and drivers wouldn't be an issue.

I'm open to spending ~£200 on a graphics card... especially since 6800's are falling in price now the 7800 is out... but not if it'll make things way too loud.

I'm not going to bother with a faster processor until dual-cores come down in price a bit... I think the cheapest AMD Athlon 64 X2 is around the £300 mark. There's no point in spending more money now if I'll only upgrade a year down the line.
    "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
    "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

prices in US dollars please
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

$1 ~ £0.70

The total price would be around the $875 mark, I can't be bothered to convert the price of each individual component though.
      "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison

Comment

Why don't you go for the cheaper option and just upgrade your current system with a new video card, more RAM, a new harddrive and possibly a quieter power supply?
        Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

£73.96 for a case seems rather steep.
          Visit First Cultural Industries
          There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
          Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Why don't you go for the cheaper option and just upgrade your current system with a new video card, more RAM, a new harddrive and possibly a quieter power supply?
            The processor in mine is sitting in an obsolete chipset, I can't get much better with the AGP 4x slot my graphics card is in. Current system is full of bottlenecks, the beauty of the suggested system is that where there are bottlenecks, upgrading wont be a problem for the foreseeable future .

£73.96 for a case seems rather steep.
            True, but it comes with a PSU. From what I've read, the choice of case has a big impact on cooling (for obvious reasons) and also noise since some cases are better at dampening vibrations. Better airflow of course helps to reduce noise.

My ideal case would be the Lian Li PC-V1000A for ~£135 . Beautiful anodised aluminium, thick panels.

Last edited by Whaleboy; August 27, 2005, 15:19.

Comment

Is that motherboard an MSI?

I'd go for the ABIT AX8 board, should be the same price, but with a better design. And if you're after value RAM anyway, you could save a few more quid by choosing Kingston. Corsair only works if you go for the high-end stuff.

Comment

Yes, tis an MSI. I would prefer nforce 4 ultra to take advantage of the SATA-II drive.

I'm looking for the AX8 now but I found this in the meantime:

What do you think?

Comment

If you want the nForce chipset, I recommend ASUS. Its A8N-SLI boards seem to offer better performance than the ABIT's Fatality boards. The ASUS board is a more expensive though, ~125 pounds.

Comment

Indeed I see it... I won't be going for SLI though since I think it's overkill for what I want and also because of noise considerations. As graphics cards get more powerful, I think that SLI and Crossfire will become redundant before too long.

It doesn't really justify the extra expense imo if I'm not going to go for SLI.

Comment

--"Any thoughts? "

Overall a pretty decent set for the budget. Only one thing I'd really suggest a change on, and that's the soundcard. If you're not a huge gamer and don't need all the latest Creative Labs proprietary baloney, skip them. They tend to have a lot of compatibility and quality problems. Not to mention the company has a horrible reputation based on their past actions, and shouldn't be supported in any way whatsoever ^_^

I'd suggest going with something like the X Mystique (if you're planning to do some PVR type stuff with the box) or the M-Audio Revolution 5.1 or 7.1.

Wraith
                      "Once they have you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about your answers."
                      -- Thomas Pynchon

Comment

post a pic of that case... what's so special about it?

I paid like $100 for my case, but it's awesome...
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

post a pic of that case... what's so special about it?
                          Christ Sava, you're a lazy ****!

Comment

well duh...

plus it's your thread... you post the pics!

eh?

so what, like $100 for that? is my math right?

what's so special about it?

what kind of fans does it come with?

does it have a transparent side?

cmon get with the program here!
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Thats the Lian Li PC-V1000A which would be my dream case. The main benefit that I can gather is that it mounts everything upside down... the MB is on the left not the right and the HDD and PSU have their own enclosures with specific cooling. I think it's a more logical arrangement for cooling, though it's odd that it doesn't have an exhaust fan at the top. Cooling is 2x 120mm fans which is nice though I'd probably replace them with LED fans.

The Antec case I'm most likely to get is fugly but it comes with a 400W PSU, good connectivity, a CPU sleeve for airflow over the top of the CPU... a cutout at the side for a fan over the GPU, a fan mount in front of the HDD.

Comment

Working...
                              X