Building a new computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just swap over the HD?
    You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by Whaleboy
      Scary stuff UR, do you think it could be a cooling issue?
      Could be, but I've got a Cooler Master Ultra Vortex, and the sensors indicate a mild 44°C when I use my computer.

Well you've put the final nail in the MSI coffin for me, I think I'll go for the Abit AN8 Ultra I linked to earlier. It's only £6 more expensive and seems to be more than worth it.
      Never used any Abit boards, though Asus ones have been rock solid for me.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Krill
        Just swap over the HD?
        If Ben already has a copy of Windows XP he could legally install that on his new computer, as long as he won't be using it on his old one anymore.
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

If Ben already has a copy of Windows XP he could legally install that on his new computer, as long as he won't be using it on his old one anymore.
          Ordinarily I would except that the copy of WinXP I have came with my current box and so is tuned to that machine, with provisions for expansion of course.

I'm tempted to use Windows XP Pro x64... what do we think?
          "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
          "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Whaleboy - quick question. You prices are a bit high by USA standards, can you purchase from the States or do you have VAT and other crap you have to pay that brings things up to parity?
            The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
            And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
            Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
            Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

Ordinarily I would except that the copy of WinXP I have came with my current box and so is tuned to that machine, with provisions for expansion of course.
              Unless your current box is a Dell or some major brand name, and you have a "recovery CD" instead of a Windows CD, you are safe.

I'm tempted to use Windows XP Pro x64... what do we think?
              Nah, it's still beta, and will expire in a month or something.

Comment

Re: Building a new computer

I keep wanting to get a new machine but lack of money or dilusions of satisfaction with my current set up keep getting in my way. I was days away from getting a Powerbook when Mac announced they'd be going with Intel, so I've decided to hold fire on the laptop front until then.

Meantime, I reckon I can build a respectable system for less than £800... preferably as close to £600 as possible. Peripherals aren't an issue. I've been looking around and this is what I've earmarked so far:

Case: Antec TX640B-UK £73.96
                Motherboard: K8N Neo4 Platinum (939) £80.20
                Soundcard: SB Audigy 2 Value £28.21
                Graphics: XFX 6600GT £105.00
                Hard Disk: DiamondMax Plus10 200Gb S150 £58.82
                RAM: Corsair Value Select DDR400 PC3200 £76.26 (2x512Mb)
                Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3000 (1.8Ghz) £107.10
                DVDRW: LiteOn SOHW-1673S-02C £22.98

Grand total: £611.68

Any thoughts?

The main use for this box would be your usual work/internet stuff, with some gaming. I'm not a massive gamer but I do like to cause the occasional spot of carnage now and again, this is one of two reasons I don't like my current box. It's nearly 3 years old, P4 2.8GHz w/512Mb DDRRAM, noisy 60Gb hard disk, paltry Geforce FX 5500 (what the **** was I thinking). The whole thing sounds like Rubens Barrichello having a multiple orgasm.

edit...........
                New stuff sounds ok, but the problem UR was talking about needs looking into! So what you doing with the old rig? want to sell it?(I'm looking for a cheapish upgrade from my P3 566 and your specs sound about what i'm after)
                'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

Whaleboy - quick question. You prices are a bit high by USA standards, can you purchase from the States or do you have VAT and other crap you have to pay that brings things up to parity?
                  Indeed, have to pay VAT and I'm not sure if I'm able to import from the US. Unless there's big savings to be had, buying from the UK is probably the path of least resistance, though I'll check it out. Thanks for the heads up!

Unless your current box is a Dell or some major brand name, and you have a "recovery CD" instead of a Windows CD, you are safe.
                  Current box is a Medion.. I tried using the recovery disk to install to another computer, no luck. I'll need to buy a copy of WinXP, there's no avoiding it.

Nah, it's still beta, and will expire in a month or something.
                  It's not beta, it was released months ago and can be had OEM from several online retailers with stuff like a mouse... ditto all versions of WinXP.

So what you doing with the old rig? want to sell it?(I'm looking for a cheapish upgrade from my P3 566 and your specs sound about what i'm after)
                  I'll let you know at the time but my brother has first dibs on it at the moment... he's off to uni in September and his box is on its last legs.
                  "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison

Comment

edit....

I'll let you know at the time but my brother has first dibs on it at the moment... he's off to uni in September and his box is on its last legs.
                    Ah thats ok then - it was more if you were going to chuck it out, i'm sure your bro will need it more than me (i got two pc's already)
                    'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

pricegrabber.com
                      resellerratings.com
                      I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotamy

Comment

Current box is a Medion.. I tried using the recovery disk to install to another computer, no luck. I'll need to buy a copy of WinXP, there's no avoiding it.
                        One very good reason not to buy OEM computers.

It's not beta, it was released months ago and can be had OEM from several online retailers with stuff like a mouse... ditto all versions of WinXP.
                        Oh, okay. It's up to you then. My rig runs Linux/Windows dual boot, so I can run some games that I can't get to work under Linux.

Comment

Whaleboy - just for comparison - I just found a Athalon 64 3000 939 plus the Gigabyte K8NSC cocket 939, costing $179 US. With UPS shipping should not be that bad - now you need to context UPS or FedEx or DHL (or whatever they call Deutche Posts govn. supported freight runner) and see how any taxes, etc. are handled. Beside the ones mentioned by fellow posters, try pricewatch
                          The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
                          And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
                          Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
                          Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

My rig runs Linux/Windows dual boot, so I can run some games that I can't get to work under Linux.
                            Cool . Personally I see no need to run Linux on a desktop unless it's a Pentium II @ 300Mhz but put that down to the want of a simple life .

One very good reason not to buy OEM computers.
                            True, but then it was an Xmas present in 2002 and apparently cost £900 which wasn't a bad price for the spec back then. I added the FX5500 of course.

Shawn: Excellent deal!

To everyone: Thanks for the links, I'll be shopping around! Tis appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                            X