Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurgents in control

Under US noses, brutal insurgents rule Sunni citadel

It's a Guardian article, so you can take it or leave it.

A three-day visit by a reporter working for the Guardian last week established what neither the Iraqi government nor the US military has admitted: Haditha, a farming town of 90,000 people by the Euphrates river, is an insurgent citadel.

That Islamist guerrillas were active in the area was no secret but only now has the extent of their control been revealed. They are the sole authority, running the town's security, administration and communications.

And america's answer? well it will no doubt be to bomb the hell out of it, women+children and all - making the whole process bog down and last for our life times

Well if the story is really true
    'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

I feel sorry for the Americans, actually. They never stood a chance of pulling this off.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman
        I feel sorry for the Americans, actually. They never stood a chance of pulling this off.
        Me too. Because of the idiotic actions of the people in my sig(as a very large part of the reason it happened), decent Amercians(of which there are many from my experience) will now have to live with the very real damage to thier international reputation. And it wont become fixed anytime soon i expect - the damage is too great. Hopefully the majority can learn from this mistake.

As for britain, i think most outside observers can see we were dragged mostly unwilling into this mess - our gloriuos PM being won over(bribed?) to the neo-con cause i suspect, still he's lost alot of friends due to this action alone(i helped vote him in previously to Iraq). And there is no way in hell we'll follow america into another such situation anytime soon i suspect.

Poor America - they really messed up
        'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Comment

There was an article in washingtonpost.com yesterday about how Kurds and Shiite political parties control the police therefore everything else. So the central government is very weak here and Americans look really bad.
          Who is Barinthus?

Comment

haditha - that makes sense. The insurgents are growing weaker in Mosul, and in Ramadi, but their last bastion is the upper Euphrates section of Anbar province, close to the Syrian border. We dont have enough troops in Iraq to maintain control of Anbar, until more Iraqi forces are trained and equipped, and it would be a mistake to rush that. Ergo its best not to panic when some small town in upper Anbar is under insurgent control.
            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Some people just take way too much joy out of any negative thing.
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

who's taking joy?

i expected better from you rah

I didn't take you for one of those "libruls enjoy americans dying" guys
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

If you think some people aren't feeling better about themselves, (since they're not americans) over any american failure, you're being naive. And yes, I think some of them don't care about the lives lost as long as they can feel superior.
                  It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Do you think Shrub didn't feel joy over his invasion of Iraq, regardless of all the little people who were going to be killed? Not that I think we should set our standards of what is acceptable by that man.

It's only natural that the rest of the peoples of the world feel joy at an American defeat. Not merely because we are the top dog, which means everyone wants to see us taken down a peg or two, but also because it is in their best interests that the hegemon be defeated. All other countries will be freer to act when Rome is afraid to use its power.
                    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by child of Thor
                      And america's answer? well it will no doubt be to bomb the hell out of it, women+children and all
                      Hell, yes! Let's have some fried Iraqi for breakfast. The women and children are especially tender.
                      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by rah
                        If you think some people aren't feeling better about themselves, (since they're not americans) over any american failure, you're being naive. And yes, I think some of them don't care about the lives lost as long as they can feel superior.
                        it seems to me that if you have to worry about what other people are thinking/feeling, you are at a loss for arguments supporting your POV

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I still feel sad when I see replays of the clips of people celebrating 9/11. It makes me feel a little less compasionate. That is also sad.

I agree that people will always like it when the big dog gets taken down a notch. But some the things they take joy in, makes them even worse than how they perceive the top dog.

I know it's not everyone, but there are enough for it to be disturbing.
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                            Do you think Shrub didn't feel joy over his invasion of Iraq, regardless of all the little people who were going to be killed? Not that I think we should set our standards of what is acceptable by that man.

It's only natural that the rest of the peoples of the world feel joy at an American defeat. Not merely because we are the top dog, which means everyone wants to see us taken down a peg or two, but also because it is in their best interests that the hegemon be defeated. All other countries will be freer to act when Rome is afraid to use its power.
                            What are you saying? America in Iraq = Persia at Thermophylae?
                            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS

Hell, yes! Let's have some fried Iraqi for breakfast. The women and children are especially tender.
                              I wonder if our views would be any different if it was us over in Iraq doing the dirty work ( but i know you were just being naughty.) - what you say DanS, lets sign up for a tour?

And for the record i take no delight what so ever in any innocent people dying(including us soldiers) - its the people who decided this was going to happen who should be taking the bullets+bombs imho. I think they have failed spectacularly in their dirty little plan to con the world that this war was something it wasn't

Poor America, poor Iraq, and shamefull UK

Comment

Working...
                              X