No announcement yet.

Going to college unready for it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyway, how is more choice in the curriculum ruining things for anyone? If you want to take a solid liberal arts education, choose those classes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
      Why not?
      Because most majors out there are in themselves not sufficient to really fill 4 years worth of in-depth study, at least not what they teach you in order to get a bachelors.

For example, in my university undergrads and grads took many classes together, because those classes met the same requirements for study. Honestly then, why would any grad student be taking a course that an undergrad is taking, unless in the end the difference between a bachelors and a doctorate is not as wide as you would think, when it comes to the actual material involved.

In most humanities and social sciences I think having student go in right from high school and then work say 6 years and have them come out with a PhD would work just fine,, with the last few years being mostly the heavy spade work of research for disertations.That woudl of course require that basic writing and researching skills and critical thinking had already been taught in high school. Sadly, that is not the case.
      If you don't like reality, change it! me
      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
        Anyway, how is more choice in the curriculum ruining things for anyone? If you want to take a solid liberal arts education, choose those classes.
        If you haven't been educated, how do you know what classes you should be taking? It becomes an issue of knowing what choices would be the best. I have problems equatin education with consumer purchases, and the fetish of choice.

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
          MOst people don't gain any useful skills or ideas in college, certainly not ones that will help them in their careers for ever.
          yes i can believe that
          Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Because most majors out there are in themselves not sufficient to really fill 4 years worth of in-depth study, at least not what they teach you in order to get a bachelors.

For example, in my university undergrads and grads took many classes together, because those classes met the same requirements for study. Honestly then, why would any grad student be taking a course that an undergrad is taking, unless in the end the difference between a bachelors and a doctorate is not as wide as you would think, when it comes to the actual material involved.

In most humanities and social sciences I think having student go in right from high school and then work say 6 years and have them come out with a PhD would work just fine,, with the last few years being mostly the heavy spade work of research for disertations.That woudl of course require that basic writing and researching skills and critical thinking had already been taught in high school. Sadly, that is not the case.
            not at all true in physics

JM
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller

not at all true in physics

JM
              Which is why I mention humanities and social sciences, and not theoretical sciences, which is part of the discussion with Kuci.

Comment

I'm going to Korea next week. Last Wednesday I went around and saw my big boss and asked him if he wanted to see me before I went. He said yes, let's do it now. He rattled off all the ground and expectations, the questions that needed answering, the things to find out. I took about 4 pages of notes.

That's my brief for next 3 years. They didn't ask me how I'd do it, that's up to me.
                Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

so are you like 007?

you get instuctions to go take over korea, then head out with a briefcase?

JM
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN
                  GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

There was mention of the evil doctor Kimchee who has taken over an island just inside North Korea's territorial waters and is building a secret base - but I can't talk about that

Comment

btw, I think you deleted my account on PROT
                      JM
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

no I didn't - register again

Comment

DanSer

JM
                          (is cleverer now though)
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

tee hee

Comment

If you haven't been educated, how do you know what classes you should be taking?
                              There's a reason God invented student advisors.

It's also pretty obvious from the course names...

Comment

there is a possibility I just don't remember the password anymore

JM
                                Jon Miller-
                                I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Working...
                                X