I need legal advice! (important)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need legal advice! (important)

I work at a Checkers. Every morning, the opening manager has to deposit last night's sales at the bank. Because none of the managers have cars, everyone has to take the bus, usually wearing plain clothes.

today, someone was robbed en route. Because the last manager who was robbed two months ago was fired, this manager attempted to cover his ass by claiming that he was set up... someone in the store, he claimed, called the muggers and told them where he was and what he was wearing.

I was in the store... and i did make a phone call while he was away, though obviously not to any muggers.

now i'm under investigation...

first of all, does a business even have the right to fire people for getting robbed if all the proper protocols were followed? Secondly, what are my rights in this situation? What should I do? If I am fired, what can I do? I live in Pennsylvania. Would I be able to sue for wrongful termination?

thank you.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

They'll pull the phone records to see who you called if you're a serious suspect. They can then check to see who that person is, and whether they think they'd be involved in a robbery.

In many states, I don't know about PA, a person can be fired for any reason. You work at will. If they decide to fire someone for being robbed, while it may seem unfair, there ain't a lot you can do about it. These are so-called "right-to-work" states, typical Orwellian language.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Just tell them who you called and why... and then tell them to check the phone records to prove it.

And yeah, they can probably fire you without cause.
      Keep on Civin'
      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Hell, it's only Checkers. It's not like it's a real job.
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Unionize!
          Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Well, right now you have your basic constituional rights vs. unlawful search and ceasure when it ocmes to the investigation.

And the store can probably fire you at will.
            If you don't like reality, change it! me
            "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
            "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
            "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I was in the store... and i did make a phone call while he was away, though obviously not to any muggers.
              How does he know you made a phone call while he was away? Did he already check call logs, or did you tell him, or was there a witness?
              meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

if you can prove to your boss that the call you made was innocent then doing that is a good idea, for example if it was to a mobile then the call would show up in the call register of that phone, or getting them to check their phone records, but this may be hard to do (conclusively at least) and they may not believe you.

the most important questions you should ask yourself are, do i want to work somewhere that treats people like that? and where people will think i'm basically a low-down criminal? the answer should probably be NO, but it's your call.

my advice to you in this situation would be to make sure you have some evidence (at least the person you called verifying that it was them you called) and then tell them to stick their job where the sun don't shine.
                "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

yeah right... i've been trying to get a better job forever... when i lost my last job, I was unemployed for 4 months and was rejected by every place. That checkers was the only one to hire me and that only because i knew someone who worked there and vouched for me. I won't be able to survive if I lose this job...

it's crazy though... i went through their management training program twice (i've only worked there for 8 months! i was in training for three of those months) but was never given a raise/promotion... both times I was nearly certified and they promoted someone else. but getting $5.50 in the most dead-end job in america seems like the only opportunity out there for a business student.
                  "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

mrmitchell:

How does he know you made a phone call while he was away? Did he already check call logs, or did you tell him, or was there a witness?
                    he guessed... tried a probable thing to cover his ass so he won't get fired. there was absolutely no way for him to know anyone made a phone call. it's just a fairly likely occurance.

Comment

so do people know you actually made a phone call?
                      "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

yes. I said I did and they checked the cameras and saw me talking on the phone.

Comment

then see my first post

Comment

cockney:

yeah... the person i called confirmed and they're checking the phone logs... nevertheless, I don't have a good feeling about this... they may want someone to blame.

Comment

dude, you robbed your boss? that's cold
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                              X