Texas hold 'em. Any tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas hold 'em. Any tips?

I know there a couple of poker players on 'poly. I'm in a "friendly" game next week. What are the big "do" and "do nots""?

I've played a bit a stud poker but I fear the worst......

Whatever you do

never

never

EVER

fold 7-2 offsuit.
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Berzerker knows all the official terms.
      I play at www.pacificpoker.com
      Get some practice with demo mney. Go broke? You get more. Hopefully you won't. I "prosper".

All I know to say is don't fold after the first three cards.
      Wait and see.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

You gotta know when to fold'em, know when to hold'em, know when to walk away.

Oh, and don't play online. It might be fun, but you're playing against guys who are only thinking about odds and whatnot.

Play around a table where you can read the guys face and see if hes bluffing.
        Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
          All I know to say is don't fold after the first three cards.
          Wait and see.

Say, sloww.

Would you like to get involved in a friendly game with me?

5$-10$ no limit sound good to you?
          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Killing it is the new killing it
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Sloww's a calling station. Sweet.
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Bring your ass to that site, and quit flapping your gums.
              Put up or shut up, as it's said. Talk is cheap.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I just named the stakes, son.

I have 2 200+ entrant tournament wins out of 10 entered and over 10 000$ of profit on 100$ initial bankroll...

Oh, and that's real money, not play stuff...
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

You're walking into a Canadian buzzsaw, Tex. Enjoy.
                  "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                  "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Well, there is a lot to cover on this subject, so for now, I'll only tell you about the two cards you are dealt.

You have to assess the potential of your initial two cards with regard to what winning hands they could make. Based on this you determine whether you want or fold or call to the flop. Any pair of 8's or higher is a keeper. Any two cards same suit is usually a keeper, though if the bidding gets too high pre-flop and you have a wide spread between the cards, e.g., J2s, you might want to fold. Any two cards valued at J or above is usually worth keeping to the flop. Any combination of cards not mentioned here, just fold on them..

If anyone wants to play me, come to www.pokeroom.com. I just use play money. But I've worked 10k of play money into 330k.. I am in the high limit games. My name there is AshyLarry..

Comment

Originally posted by bfg9000
                      Well, there is a lot to cover on this subject, so for now, I'll only tell you about the two cards you are dealt.

You have to assess the potential of your initial two cards with regard to what winning hands they could make. Based on this you determine whether you want or fold or call to the flop. Any pair of 8's or higher is a keeper. Any two cards same suit is usually a keeper, though if the bidding gets too high pre-flop and you have a wide spread between the cards, e.g., J2s, you might want to fold. Any two cards valued at J or above is usually worth keeping to the flop. Any combination of cards not mentioned here, just fold on them..

If anyone wants to play me, come to www.pokeroom.com. I just use play money. But I've worked 10k of play money into 330k.. I am in the high limit games. My name there is AshyLarry..
                      Hmm-- that play seems pretty loose. To me you have to consider how many people are playing. If its only 2 players left, you play a lot more hands than you do when there are 5 or more folks at the table. Common sense really.

I don't love playing anything much less than an A-8 although lower suited connectors are worth staying in if the betting is low. I absolutely agree on the paired 8s with 4+ players. With fewer players . . . in theory in head to head any lower pair is not THAT much worse since the chance of an opponent hitting an unpaired over card stays about the same. Its just the chance of an oponent having a higher pair from the outset thats higher. Playing a low pair also make the betting harder . Consider your different situation with a pair of 8s instead of a pair of 6s when you see a flop of 7-3-2 for instance.

Try to get a sense of the players. I don't think the "play money" rooms are any sense of real play since people can do all sorts of silly things. I played tight in a fake money arena and pretty quickly quadrupled my "money". But I saw that some folks simply bet every hand until they lost their stakeand then returned replenished a few seconds later. It leads to silly play like the time my hole K pair lost to a guy that stayed in with a 6-3 unsuited. I bet pretty big pre-flop but he stayed in anyway and with a midrange flop of something like a 3-8-j, I was still feeling pretty good and bet big again-- anyone with a pair of 3s in a real money game would be out but he stayed in and won when he hooked a 3 on the river. After that I just bet every single hand until I lost all my play money and left.

I actually find that low limit games are somewhat similar-- if you can't bet enough to scare people out, you get people playing the oddest sorts of hands.
                      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

reds, a few (very general) things

- don't be afraid to fold and fold often, patience is a virtue when playing
                        - learn the % chances of hands winning in situations, this is why maths geeks (like kh ) can become very good at poker
                        - the game varies a great deal depending on how many players are there, a small pair ain't too clever in a seven-handed game but three handed it's often a different story
                        - poker is something you only really learn through experience, so if you've not played before don't put real money on the line
                        - real life is VERY different to on-line poker
                        - and finally, if you're going to bluff, make it an outrageous one
                        "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

poker is stupid
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Does anyone play with real money online? I cant bring myself to try it because it seems like it would be too easy for people to cheat. You could have a group of people sit at one online table and talk to each other on cell phones about their cards and make decisions about how to bet..

Comment

awesome thread.. in 1 minute a tourney will start I'm in.. we'll see, over 2000 participants already.. I'm hoping to finish in the top 100 but we'll see.

Texas Hold'em, No Limit of course
                              In da butt.
                              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                              THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                              "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Working...
                              X