No announcement yet.

Texas hold 'em. Any tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the worst one ever for me.. lasted like what.. 2 minutes? Freaking bad beat from the get go.. I had the nuts, two aces.. everyone starts conservatively as usual, and then two dudes goes all-in.. no flop yet seen.. well I have nuts.. I'm thinking I should hold on for a moment to get some sweat on, but then again I have the nuts, and thinkign the only right move is to move in, since .. well I got the nuts. What happens? No one has **** but me, and the flop comes. 3 diamonds.. I'm like damn.. I have no diamonds at all..turn .. diamond.. bye bye pekka.. what a ****ty one that was
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
      the worst one ever for me.. lasted like what.. 2 minutes? Freaking bad beat from the get go.. I had the nuts, two aces.. everyone starts conservatively as usual, and then two dudes goes all-in.. no flop yet seen.. well I have nuts.. I'm thinking I should hold on for a moment to get some sweat on, but then again I have the nuts, and thinkign the only right move is to move in, since .. well I got the nuts. What happens? No one has **** but me, and the flop comes. 3 diamonds.. I'm like damn.. I have no diamonds at all..turn .. diamond.. bye bye pekka.. what a ****ty one that was
      That sucks. That's always what happens to me. Whenever I get get AKs or KQs or KK the flop gives me nothing and then the rest of the cards come to form a flush or a straight for somebody else.

Comment

KH, if you're not only flabbing your gums, why don't you gimme some insights.. want to be my mentor? I'm in need for money and I have mathematical talents, and I have an eye for odds. I only have one strategy, which is conservative style, but I'd like to learn more hold'em.. strategies. Suitable for online games. I will cut you a deal if it works out for me as well. Say.. up to my first 10 000, I give you 10%? I give you my word of honour, and promise to study your strategy and be a good student. What do you say?
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

bfg900, yeah I know.. I'm known to lay down monsters but.. when I have AA's in the pocket from the get go and everyone is raising like there is no tomorrow.. I have difficulties not going with it. I know most of them don't have anything, and I do realize often times with these kind of players (bad players) you get bad beats and that's it.. you're gone.. and it sucks..

but it was not played well on my part.. I mean.. I could have waited a bit more and not go to the first good one. Then again, it was the starting of the tourney, so I could have cashed off with the newbies flying out with their all-ins from the first hands. You know, be the chip leader early on and cool down.. just one time.. with the nuts.. multiply my stack at least x 7. I should have not go with it obviously but it .. well sucks.
          In da butt.

Comment

But Pekka-- your play was correct-- If I'm sitting there with AA, of course you are going to stay in on bets even big bets preflop. How can you not call an "all-in" preflop if you are sitting there with AA ?? The odds are totally in your favor. The fact that you lost-- just poor dumb luck.

Some shmo may flop to a full house but that still doesn't mean its a good idea to play a 2-7 offsuit.
            You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

gambling is bad

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                KH, if you're not only flabbing your gums, why don't you gimme some insights.. want to be my mentor? I'm in need for money and I have mathematical talents, and I have an eye for odds. I only have one strategy, which is conservative style, but I'd like to learn more hold'em.. strategies. Suitable for online games. I will cut you a deal if it works out for me as well. Say.. up to my first 10 000, I give you 10%? I give you my word of honour, and promise to study your strategy and be a good student. What do you say?
                I already wrote out a very long post detailing my basic strategy about 6 months ago.

Do a search for it.
                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Killing it is the new killing it
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by bfg9000
                  KQs
                  How the **** can you mention KQs in the same sentence with AA, KK and AKs?

KQ is probably the worst-played hand in existence (with the possible exception of JJ)

KQs IS NOT A GREAT HAND

IT CAN BE UTTERLY DESTROYED BY:

AA
                  KK
                  QQ
                  AK
                  AQ

IT DOES NOT DOMINATE ANY REASONABLE HAND YOUR OPPONENT COULD BE PLAYING WITH IF THERE'S HEAVY ACTION PREFLOP

At best you're a coinflip. Likely you're 3-2 (your opponent has an ace with a kicker smaller than a Q). Quite possible to be 3-1 or worse.

Where's the upside?

I fold KQs to any large raise
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

KH, can't find it.. I'm not sure if this communist board lets me search OTF anymore, since I didn't pay thousands of dollars just to be elite in a discussion board. Wrongness!

You wouldn't happen to .. or remember who started the thread.. ?
                    In da butt.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                      KQ is probably the worst-played hand in existence (with the possible exception of JJ)

KQs IS NOT A GREAT HAND
                      While everything you say is true... it really depends on how many people are left in the game. As the number of players decrease, the strength of KQ increases
                      Keep on Civin'
                      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Especially suited.
                        "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                        "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                          I just named the stakes, son.

I have 2 200+ entrant tournament wins out of 10 entered and over 10 000$ of profit on 100$ initial bankroll...

Oh, and that's real money, not play stuff...
                          Wait... did you win that online or offline?

How much time did it take to win that amount of money?

Comment

good odds or not, I don't like deuces in the pocket, I throw them away usually pre-flop.. of course, depends on the number of players but if full table, I won't go with them, ever, unless I'm out of bullets and I really need to build my stack in the next few hands or I'm gone.

I don't like one ace, if it's coupled with anything else than value card. And even then it's sometimes a stretch.

I don't like Jacks. My favourite is QQ, KK or AA.

But even with my favourites, I like to slow play. This of course isn't the same with good players, but with most players it works. Get them on it. Go heavy and see everyone drop their cards, but in most online games, you slow play and even check in between, and if you have excellent cards, you're likely going all-in against at least two players. If you're in the right table of course . Slow play always works there, but like said, with good players, it's a different story. But with these normal visitors, you can't buy the pot, so that's a huge risk, never try, I have tried it and never again online There's always some Jonathan, Jacob or GIMMEYOMONEY943 who will go with nothing on you and win it.
                            In da butt.

Comment

Originally posted by Ming

While everything you say is true... it really depends on how many people are left in the game. As the number of players decrease, the strength of KQ increases
                              That's true of all hands, and the likelihood that you're facing a monster decreases with the number of hands dealt. There's still no reason to classify KQs in the same league as the actual big starting hands. If you're consistently winning money playing KQs for big raises preflop against more than 5 opponents then your opponents are huge morons.

Shorthanded is radically different. I bet far more aggressively, bluff a lot more etc.

All in all it's a much more dangerous game.
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion

Wait... did you win that online or offline?

How much time did it take to win that amount of money?
                                250 hours of play, give or take.
                                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                                X