The Disengagement Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hamas Proclaims Victory, Promises to Destroy Israel

Well, Hamas are very happy about the disengagement. According to their Radio Al-Aqsa on August 19th:

“We will be victorious over Sharon, and you will realize that tomorrow with the help of Allah. The Izzadine al-Qassam Battalions will make you tremble in Haifa, in Tel Aviv. They will strike you in Safed, in Acre.

"Wait for us in Jaffa, Haifa, Tel Aviv, Ashkelon. The knights of Gaza are coming. Our beloved sons of Palestine, we make no distinction between [Israeli-controlled] Palestine and [the West Bank and Gaza Strip] Palestine. There is no difference between Jaffa and Gaza, between the Galilee and Hebron. Hamas will leave Gaza and break out throughout Palestine to show the way of jihad, which will bring our nation to its summit. Oh sons of Zion, the defeat you suffered in Gaza is just the beginning…”

Has there been discussion here of Hamas' capacity to send rockets from Gaza into Tel Aviv & Jerusalem?

Comment

• some, yes.

Btw, the attack in Aquaba and Eilat is, indeed, Al Qaeda.
      urgh.NSFW

Comment

• 1. disengagement seems to be done. altogether, went smoothly

2. IDF was professional. AFAICT, there were few problems with disobedience, etc. There was empathy for the (compliant) settlers, but the job got done

3. Even most of the ideological settlers complied, after expressing their grief

4. Even most of the obstructors were relatively non-violent

5. Even so, wouldnt Israeli society be better off with a religious alternative to Mafdal style Orthodoxy?

6. latest poll shows Sharon WINNING a likud primary
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• Originally posted by lord of the mark
          6. latest poll shows Sharon WINNING a likud primary

(this thread is horrible )
          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

• 6. latest poll shows Sharon WINNING a likud primary

urgh.NSFW

Comment

• Why are you so hostile, Az? Would you prefer a scumbag like Netanyahu at the head of Israel?
              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

• It's all creep to me.
                urgh.NSFW

Comment

• Wrt. Israeli primaries: Isn't Sharon getting to be an old man in terms of running for re-election? I think he's 78, but there's seldom any mention of his age in news reports, as is otherwise often the case. And I don't recall there ever having been any focused attention on his age specifically.

I've wondered about this a bit from time to time, is it an issue in Israeli domestic debate?

Comment

• No, sadly. He and Peres should have retired a couple of years ago ( Especially Peres who just doesn't know when to ****ing quit, for the good of the party and the country )
                    urgh.NSFW

Comment

• Originally posted by Az
                      It's all creep to me.
                      I don't understand. I thought that in comparison to Netanyahu (and especially inc comparison with the third challenger), Sharon was much more on the "center", while the others are on the far right?

Besides, it seems Sharon is serious about completely cutting off Israel from the Pals, a strategy I thought you supported?

Comment

• Originally posted by Spiffor

I don't understand. I thought that in comparison to Netanyahu (and especially inc comparison with the third challenger), Sharon was much more on the "center", while the others are on the far right?

Besides, it seems Sharon is serious about completely cutting off Israel from the Pals, a strategy I thought you supported?
                        He doesn't support the disengagement. Take a look at his post towards the bottom of the third page of this thread.
                        "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

• Originally posted by Az
                          No, sadly. He and Peres should have retired a couple of years ago ( Especially Peres who just doesn't know when to ****ing quit, for the good of the party and the country )
                          interesting article, i saw in either Haaretz or JP. None of your PM's ever went off quiety. All either defeated, driven out by scandal or party maneuvering, or (Eshkol and Rabin) died in office. and when theyre out, they tend to keep trying to get back in - Ben Gurion and Peres being good examples, but also look at Barak.
                          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• I don't understand. I thought that in comparison to Netanyahu (and especially inc comparison with the third challenger), Sharon was much more on the "center", while the others are on the far right?

Yeah, but they're all corrupt *******s I hate.

"cutting off Israel from the Pals"

The Israeli settlements from Gaza are removed, soon, Gaza will have a 'free border' - yet pressures are still mounting to let arab workers into Israel.

****ing hell.
                            urgh.NSFW

Comment

• I heard that Sharon wants to capitalize on the success of the disengagement by withdrawing from more wb settlements in the next few months.
                              "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

• Unlikely. His government will probably fall as soon as the Knesset returns from vacation(or whatever you call it).
                                "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Working...
                                X