No announcement yet.

The Disengagement Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I suppose Jews could always slip back into the Gaza Strip after the disengagement, when the Israeli government isn't as focused on it anymore and resettle the area that way. Then it won't be Israel's problem anymore.
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• Originally posted by OzzyKP
      I suppose Jews could always slip back into the Gaza Strip after the disengagement, when the Israeli government isn't as focused on it anymore and resettle the area that way. Then it won't be Israel's problem anymore.
      Nah. They are settling there to ensure that the land stays Israeli. If Israel says "we're not interested", there is no point in being there. Besides, they would get themselves killed faster than you can say Neve Dekalim.
      "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

• Will the settlers have the resources required to buy a fleet of helicopters, fighters and tanks? I doubt it. Failing that, I doubt they'll last long under an open bombing from Hamas' mortars. That is, until the Israeli military arrives.

My fricking point - they won't need to, because they'll use small arms fire much more often. They won't have rules of engagement stopping them. And Hamas' mortars are few, and far between - and will be countered with mortars, too. You people think that Hamas is some lean mean fighting machine, while it's really really not. That's why they use suicide bombers, remember?

Yes, but it's in the territory of the Gaza strip, and the settlers + soldiers are a useless and diplomatically absurd objective to protect.
        Why so?

You won't have to protect a slew of pockets within hostile territory. It's good news.

Most of the settlements, are pockets in hostile territory. Most of them, for a rather large block. Only 2 are pockets.

I am wholly unconvinced by the relationship you established between the occupation and the field intelligence. Spies can operate in unoccupied territory.

Not spies, reconnaissance - these aren't agents, but field gathering troops and devices.

This is not what I meant. The fight against the terrorists will be done by Israel. However, the IDF will have no "police" job left in the area. Israel will use its spies and its airpower in Gaza, but there will be no jobs that require Israeli grunts anymore. Unless you believe that an actual war will start from Gaza.

Israel has no police job now too. Man, some of you people don't know much - There are no Israeli troops in the cities, only in the settlements, the borders of Gaza strip, and maybe 2 roads.

If they have help from thousands of volunteers and 'NGOs', they might be able to have a decent crack at it. Especially if they can import weapons, whilst the Palestinian can't.

a) the palestinians will be able to import weaponary- well as much as resources permit.
        b) Still, no dice. They won't be able to even try and contemplate the removal of this large amount of population.

Eli:

Of course, all the remaining Jews will be dead. Stable.

Again, how so? Man, you people really overestimate Hamas as any force other than the maker of suicide bombers.
        urgh.NSFW

Comment

• how is it going over there ?
          "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

• teh suck.
            urgh.NSFW

Comment

• a) the palestinians will be able to import weaponary- well as much as resources permit.
              b) Still, no dice. They won't be able to even try and contemplate the removal of this large amount of population.
              Yeah, as if Israel is going to let the Palestinians import missiles, helicopters and tanks (paid for by the Muslim world).

Comment

• @ Thinking the muslim world will actually pay for that.
                urgh.NSFW

Comment

• [q=Az]Again, how so? Man, you people really overestimate Hamas as any force other than the maker of suicide bombers.
                  [/q]

Sheer numbers.
                  "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

• Sheer numbers.

That's an old-ass argument.
                    urgh.NSFW

Comment

• on the one hand, its looking rough now, one woman burned herself, amost to death. One cant help but feel some sympathy.

On the other hand, comparing being forced to go to the cities of Israel, to being deported to Auschwits, is a tad post-Zionist to me.

on the other hand, the troops are proceeding methodically, firmly, and apparently calmly. Again, my admiration to Tzahal.
                      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• Sharon

Tzahal
                        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

• I'll remind you of this in a couple of months.
                          urgh.NSFW

Comment

• Originally posted by lord of the mark
                            on the one hand, its looking rough now, one woman burned herself, amost to death. One cant help but feel some sympathy.
                            I find it rather sad, for her personally, but also that now some Israelis start to think too that matyrdom for a lost cause is a practicable way.
                            Blah

Comment

• Sharon showing class:

The prime minister repeatedly called on the settlers to spare the soldiers and police from harm, insults, and blame.

"Blame me," he said raising his voice, "this was my decision, so blame me, curse me, hurt me."

The president, sitting at Sharon's side, interrupted the prime minister, pointing out that "hurt" was a bad choice of words, and that "criticize" was more appropriate.
                              link

I wonder if Bush will ever be willing to use those two words.
                              "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

• Originally posted by Az
                                I'll remind you of this in a couple of months.
                                I sure hope so!
                                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                                "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                                "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Working...
                                X