Air France crash landing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air France crash landing

"A passenger jet burst into flames after running off the runway at Toronto Airport, Canada. Details soon." - CNN front page

Just heard...
    meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Hmmmmm... didn't you originally type Detroit?
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I did, that's what the friend who told me said...I guess she got it mixed up? The current version is what it says on CNN.com

Comment

Passenger jet in flames at Toronto airport

CTV.ca News Staff

A passenger jet burst into flames after apparently skidding off the runway at Toronto's Pearson International Airport.

Few details are known, and there is no word on whether there are any casualties.

Police indicate the aircraft was an Air France jet that was trying to land when it ran into trouble.

"An Air France plane landing on runway 2-4 left went off the end of the runway the area of Convert Drive and the 401 area in Mississauga," said Sgt. Glyn Griffiths.

He couldn't say whether there were any injuries or if any passengers had been removed from the plane, but said there's been a full response by all emergency vehicles.

An Air France ticket agent told Reuters that the burning plane is an A340 airbus that flew into Toronto from Paris.

Live television pictures showed flames and smoke billowing from the aircraft in a tree-filled area near the airport.

CTV Toronto's Jim Junkin reports that 200 people are thought to have been on board.

Severe thunderstorms were hitting the area at the time of the accident. Witness Mark Yppelar told CTV Newsnet that he saw heavy lightning strikes in the area before he saw the aircraft on fire.

The Greater Toronto Airport Authority is expected to hold a press conference at 5 p.m. ET.

More later

Comment

Air Detroit huh?

As for your story.
          Nice april fools joke, but its a bit lake for that.
          "Our words are backed with NUCLEAR WEAPONS!"​​

Comment

The 401 is Canada's busiest highway...I think that's it that you can see in the corner of the video on CNN right now...

Comment

Yea, you can see the plane from some of the traffic cameras on 401:
              Attached Files

Comment

Live pictures on BBC world now
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Doesn't look good
                  With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

It's an Air France Airbus 340 which was landing, after having flown from Paris to Toronto. In an emergency like this and based upon the TV broadcast, I'm afraid we can't expect any good news. There was an explosive fire with flames, due to the plane has lots of fuel, even if it has just landed.
                    "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Well, let's make it more clear: it's fried, SOL. Any survivors will be extremely lucky. Simply because a fire will be explosive and it spreads damn fast. Also it takes quite long to even try to evacuate.

It was BTW the first crash for the 340.
                      "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

It seems it will take a while before we get more details, because there has been only one meager police statement so far, but no airport authority press statement. So we have to wait for more.

Anyone interested in chatting and following up live as events fold, hook up on CivIRC for live IRC coverage.

Comment

How can a plane have lots of fuel after a flight from Paris to toronto ? I know that they aren't flying on fumes, but it isn't as bad as a crash just after start.
                          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

It is as bad, even if you don't have your tanks full loaded with fuel. It's just that simple. The engines are hot and fuel is flammable. A very, very sensitive mixture which will burst into flames when they make contact. You don't need much to get the plane in flames. And it will anyway divert the plane and cause a fatal crash. Also one eye-witness suggests it lost 1/3 after which the rest burst into flames.

Based on what I've seen before (I've actually seen IRL one airplane crash) and know, I'm sorry to say, but there's just very, very, very little hope. Basically none.

Comment

Originally posted by mrmitchell
                              The 401 is Canada's busiest highway...I think that's it that you can see in the corner of the video on CNN right now...
                              It's North America's busiest highway, and it's right next to Pearson International.

Over 425,000 cars/day on average, many days over 500,000...surpasses Santa Monica freeway, etc. in volume.

It's rushhour right now.
                              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                              X