New Zealand election thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyway, we all go to the polls today... for the rest of the world:

The two biggest Sunday newspapers here, the Sunday Herald and the Sunday Star Times, had the following headlines:

SH: "Labour Leads Latest Poll by 2 Points!"
    SST: "New Poll Points to Success for National; Lead of 6 points".

I think it will be rather close...

Comment

It doesn't matter. Whoever gets the minor parties onside will win. Oddly enough the election has occurred three weeks after I became ineligible to vote.

At least ACT look to be out for the count.
      Only feebs vote.

Comment

There's a strong chance it could be hung. Labour and the Greens won't have enough to get over 50%, and National and United Future won't, and NZ First won't go with anyone.

There will probably be fresh elections in a year or so.

Comment

Nah. It will be a minority government. Canada has one right now. No big deal, especially as our politicians seem to have learned to cope with MMP now.

I don't see why there should have been an election anyway. It's over completely silly issues. The current government is clearly the best that New Zealand has had since the Kirk government in terms of management.
          Only feebs vote.

Comment

Well... there needs to be an election because of the whole three-years thing...

Comment

I know, but it is a farce. One cannot fault the current government on issues of competence, which is what should really matter. Hence, from what I have seen the whole campaign descended into Winston Peters territory.
              Only feebs vote.

Comment

Labour and National have just been attacking eachother. There has been no real emphasis on policies and issues, just how crap the other is.

The only party with any real policies is... the Greens.

Comment

I know. I usually vote for them.
                  Only feebs vote.

Comment

Damn. Electon Night. I did my part and gave my party vote to the Greens.

National has promised to spend money like there's no tommorow. I fear the sheeples have been taken.

I suspect/fear the gov will end up National + NZ first. Green might not even get over the 5% threshold. Oh well, atleast I voted and thus will have every right to complain .

Comment

• National seem to be running away with it. Hide is winning Epsom, so ACT may get 2-3 seats. National may not even need NZ First to form the next government.

Sigh... I hope it's not a dark day for NZ.

Comment

• Greens are just over the 5% threshold atm. *wipes forehead* Wish I had a diety to pray to. Eris? hmm... no... too dangerous.

National always starts out strong (I think because the smaller rural poll booths get countest fastest). I still have hope.

Comment

• Nat are leading by 6 points with 25% counted... I think it'll be too big a gap myself

Comment

• But, they might still have difficulty forming a coalition. And the gap is narrowing.

I suspect that Nat+NZF will be able to form a majority... with luck tho nat will need 2 other parties to form a majority and that makes it more possible that labor+green can form something.

I'm following the results at http://www.electionresults.govt.nz/partystatus.html, I'm not watching the TV coverage because I'm not drunk.

Comment

• Act is back in pretty much with 2 seats, Rodney is pretty much a cert to win Epsom.

Labour currently have 48, plus their Progressive puppets gives them 50, same as National.

National/Act/United Future gets to 55. Labour/Progressive/Green gets to 57. Both are short.

Say the Maori (semi-unlikely) join up with Labour. That's 60 for Labour. BUT, because of the Maori success, there is going to be an overhang seat, and so, they still won't have a working majority, allowing National to form the next govt with NZF.

Comment

• A pilot is flying around Auckland threatening to crash his plane into the Sky Tower.

Comment

Working...
                                X