Someone hands you $125K...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pekka
    I would invest 50k safely, 25k to banking account (I'd live with that money for all my studies, rest of them, easily, glorious) and 50k I'd use to set up the company with few of my talented buddies from school we've been dreaming of.. with that much capital straight cash, we'd get another 50k easily as loan, and 100k would be enough for us to get it going on and run it for a year or two alone.
    Can you tell us anything about this company you have been dreaming of?

Comment

I would spend a lot of it on booze, birds, and fast cars. The rest I would just squander.

Apologies to George Best
      “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

birds?
        Monkey!!!

Comment

Sure. Actually I have many dreams for businesses, some I love doing, some I think would actually do OK, so I guess I just have to resort those ideas I think are profitable instead of what I like doing the most.. well I like doing them all so it' snot a big trade off.

It would have to do with software, applications, embedded systems and mobile devices. Creation and production of software. Small time things.. nothing extravagant. But cool, and profitable and always a chance to hit the jackpot. We all have personal connections to .. segments that could be helpful, at least to get it introduced so.. and the good thing is the crew is talented and has some experience, we know each other well and get along great, but yet everyone of us have goal oriented thinking and definitely are in it for the experience and work, and not some secondary goals. We just want to get it done. We've been doing some stuff in the past, nothing super but enough to know what we're doing and what we should be looking at. We are starting a new project this fall, we'll see if something comes up or not. We have special knowledge and experience of mobiles, and the infrastructure for it is in here and the players are here as well so.. and we'd do it for free anyway so we're thinking about setting company around it all, why not, since we're doing it for free now.
          In da butt.
          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
          THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
          "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
            birds?
            British slang for women.
            “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

I'd buy a motorbike and a tent, bank the rest, and see how long I could make it last.
              Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
              "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Pay to get rid of a problem I have with some(one)thing.
                "Our words are backed with NUCLEAR WEAPONS!"​​

Comment

Who's George Best?
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

GIYF
                    Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                    "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Pay off my current student loans, save the bulk for grad school (to avoid further student loans) and with the extra take a nice vacation to Europe for a couple of months.
                      If you don't like reality, change it! me
                      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Yeah, it would be a nice deposit...it would be enough for me to be able to afford the rest without too insane a mortgage. Just shows that that amount of money just isn't that much nowadays...
                        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                          Yeah, it would be a nice deposit...it would be enough for me to be able to afford the rest without too insane a mortgage. Just shows that that amount of money just isn't that much nowadays...
                          Ya to be life changing in a significant way, the amount would have to be I think about 2 times or more a person's annual income ( with a minimum of 50 K)

The scenario as stated was, for me, essentially the status quo if I converted my home equity to cash. So it was nothing to get excited about.

Now if someone gave me 125K ON TOP of my current assets, that would be a different matter. I would invest 50K for retirement, plunk 30K down to retire all non-mortgage debt, put 30K in a trip fund so we can start the travel we want to do and spend 15 K on household funishings.

It doesn't look like enough saving but with all non-mortgage debt retired and no necessity to save for a trip, I could increase our mortgage payments markedly and still have more cash on hand than we do at present. But there would be no big change in our life.

Now give me 300K so I could pay off our mortagage and its a different story. I actually think I would pay off the mortgage just for the joy of doing it. If we redirect mortage monies to the other debt and live the same, we would then be debt free in a year. THEN we could become ostentatious consumers, wanton capitalists as it were . . .muwahahahaha
                          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Re: Someone hands you $125K...

Originally posted by bfg9000
                            Tomorrow, someone hands you a check for $125,000. What do you do with this money? How would you invest it to become a millionaire? Oh, and btw, you no longer have a place to live, so you need to consider that as well...
                            No where to live? Might as well sell one's home and make more bling that way.

P.S. Uchihas suck.

Comment

$50-75K for a house (in Camden)...

$25-50K charity

$25K investment

What can I say? If someone just instantly gets money through no work of their own, they should at least give a little of it...
                              meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Forex (with a couple thousand dollars invested in the proper training) will net you about 6-10% growth per week with the most conservative strategies. If you've got the nads for it.
                                (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                                (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                                (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Working...
                                X