Someone hands you $125K...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone hands you $125K...

Tomorrow, someone hands you a check for $125,000. What do you do with this money? How would you invest it to become a millionaire? Oh, and btw, you no longer have a place to live, so you need to consider that as well...

Pay off all my debts. Open a business.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Pay off debts and bank most of the rest

Comment

Re: Someone hands you $125K...

Originally posted by bfg9000
        Tomorrow, someone hands you a check for $125,000. What do you do with this money? How would you invest it to become a millionaire? Oh, and btw, you no longer have a place to live, so you need to consider that as well...

Well if I no longer have a place to live then $125,000 (£70,000) will just about buy me a rabbit hutch to live in as that is less than half the average dwelling price in the UK.
        Last edited by el freako; August 2, 2005, 08:24.
        19th Century Liberal, 21st Century European

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
          Pay off all my debts. Open a business.
          What kind of business?

Comment

It's a secret.
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Zulu Elephant
              Pay off debts and bank most of the rest
              So you would just put the rest in a checking account?

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                It's a secret.
                A secret business. Something illegal, perhaps. Don't use that money to deal drugs, CG. There has to be a better use for it..

Comment

Originally posted by bfg9000

What kind of business?

Mail order slimming pills.

Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Re: Re: Someone hands you $125K...

Originally posted by el freako

Well if I no longer have a place to live then $125,000 (£70,000) will just about buy me a rabbit hutch to live in as that is less than half the average dwelling price in the UK.
                    Yeah, would make a nice deposit on a place though!
                    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                    We've got both kinds

Comment

Do you want to be rich sooner or later? Would you rather be very very rich or just rich enough so that you don't have to work and can live at your current level? Would you mind if you lost some of it along the way and then got it all back in the end?

Meh?

If I had no debt?

Seeing that I'm only 30.

Take about $50k and sink into Real Estate in the form of REITs as well as into no load Large Cap Mutual Funds that aren't too bond heavy...

Take another $50k and structure a bond ladder with about 30-40% I bonds, 20-25% Treasuries, and the rest a blend of high to mid rated corporate bonds, and what the hell maybe even some GM junk rated bonds.

That leaves you $25k to invest in stocks, and/or Vegas.
                      Monkey!!!

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Someone hands you $125K...

Originally posted by MikeH

Yeah, would make a nice deposit on a place though!

What about dividing the amount to make a minimum deposit on a number of units, yourself living in one, and then rent out the rest until property values raise to the point where it makes sense to sell them off.. Perhaps this would work best in a University town..

Comment

A minimum depost usually doesn't bring the mortgage down enough to have competitive rents. So, if you mean mimium such that you cash flow cancels out payments, then ya that might be a good idea... if you don't mind being a landlord.
                          Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
                            Do you want to be rich sooner or later? Would you rather be very very rich or just rich enough so that you don't have to work and can live at your current level? Would you mind if you lost some of it along the way and then got it all back in the end?

Meh?

If I had no debt?

Seeing that I'm only 30.

Take about $50k and sink into Real Estate in the form of REITs as well as into no load Large Cap Mutual Funds that aren't too bond heavy...

Take another $50k and structure a bond ladder with about 30-40% I bonds, 20-25% Treasuries, and the rest a blend of high to mid rated corporate bonds, and what the hell maybe even some GM junk rated bonds.

That leaves you $25k to invest in stocks, and/or Vegas.
                            I would just want to invest in something where I have at least 25% growth in 5 years.. 5 years ago, real estate was a good way of doing that. I dont know if it still is. What is an REIT?

Thanks for the detailed answer. Do you work in finance?

Comment

Do you work in finance?
                              No.

What is an REIT?
                              A REIT is a Real Estate Investment Trust, it is pretty much a mutual fund but instead of owning stocks and bonds it owns real estate. If you buy one, buy a publicly traded one.

As for 25% in 5 years you should be fine, IMO. Especially if you consider the rule of 72, or that at 10% you will double your money in 7.2 years. Not too shabby.

REITs and Bond Ladders are good long term investments, more than 5 years. Especially in the case of a ladder you need a lot of money for it really to make a difference. However, once a bond ladder matures so that it is making in interest every year what it is you need to survive on you are set with that tax free income without losing you nest egg. I would pad the ladder with REITs mainly because I am riskier, which is also why I would go with Mutual Funds.
                              Monkey!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X