Why does the universe exist at all?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does the universe exist at all?

Well? Never mind such trivial matters as what's the true religion (none of the above), the future of gay marriage (pretty insignificant), Bush's failings (many), or the winner of the War of 1812 (Canada). Why do matter and energy exist at all? Or gravity? All deists and materialists (and everyone inbetween) are respectfully asked to give their most thoughtful opinions.
    Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

I think you have begun the first steps to enlightenment, my friend.
    Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
    Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
    *****Citizen of the Hive****
    "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

because i wanted it to
      Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
      Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

MAGIC!
        ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

The universe had to exist in the first place so the Most Holy Website of Them All - Apolyton could exist.
          Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Because nothing is impossible.
            www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Well their is always the Strong Anthropic Principle

"If it didn't you wouldn't be asking the question, so theirs your answer"

But I always felt that was a bit of a copout, resent cosmological studies show that the universes curvature is as close to perfectly flat as we can meashure meaning that the total Enegy of the Universe is adsactly zero (everything cancels everything else out). This atleast sugjests (to me) that nothing "created" the universe, it is uncaused the anchient greeks were right (despite recent evidence to the contrary) that the Universe is either constantly re-created and re-destroyed or has and always will exist. The current scenerio of Beggining but no end strikes me as obsurd (though I admit this is often a very poor tool to use in evaluating theories of the universe).

I guess my thinking is along these lines. Within the Context of the Universe, which is by definition all that can rationaly be deduce to exist and thus nothing BUT the universe can, will or could exist. Thus the Universe must exist. Thats ofcorse completly tautologoly but its the best I can do right now and it sounds like a nice Axium "Existence Exists". Just try disproving that
              Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

Why should there be a reason/cause for it to exist?
                Why do 1 + 1 = 2?
                Clash of Civilization team member
                (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Originally posted by joncha
                  MAGIC!
                  "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                  "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                  "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by joncha
                    MAGIC!
                    I'll go for the Anthropic Principle

(weak)

Comment

It's all just a dream of someone who had a pretty rough time the day before.

Comment

Why wouldn't it exist?
                        Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                        Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                        We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH
                          Why wouldn't it exist?
                          If God had'nt of made it so....?

Comment

Somebody else has to do the dishes and take out the recycling- it can't always be my turn.
                            Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by reds4ever

If God had'nt of made it so....?

God is Jean Luc Picard?
                              Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                              Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                              We've got both kinds

Comment

Working...
                              X